A64 3400+ 1MB L2 Cache?

I have bought a Clawhammer 3400+ and not a Newcastle. Is one better than the other. Can I oc the Clawhammer to 2.4 GHz to match? I also have got a MSI Neo Plat Mobo.

Thanks.
Sreeni
8 answers Last reply
More about 3400 cache
  1. As you may already know the difference between the Clawhammer and Newcastle is 200 mhz and 512kb of l2 cache. As far as performance goes, the clock speed increase does a little more for the a64 than the additional cache does. The difference in speed is very slight. The only way to tell the difference between the two would be benching them and comparing the numbers. If you want to overclock it you will only have to get it to ~2.3 - 2.35ghz in order to have it perform like a Newcastle core (maybe even less.) Increasing the FSB will always be faster than increasing the multiplier and then tack on the extra cache and you have higher performance.

-----------------------
    oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!
  2. I should add that the Clawhammer does win a few memory intensive benchmarks when compared to the Newcastle. Also, I've heard the Newcastle's with their smaller chaches are better overclockers.

-----------------------
  3. Thanks for your response. so if I up the FSB to 210-216 (theoretically, as I donot yet know how) and have a decent 3200 memory 3-3-3-7 (1GB) it will perform better than me just taking up the CPU to 2.3 or 2.4.

As I will be doing a lot of Adobe Premiere and video encoding, will I need to get a better CPU cooler. I am getting an Antec case with 5 fans and 520W PSU.

thanks once again.
    Sreeni
  4. Well if you increase the FSB it gets multiplied by the multiplier so it will increase the processor speed. The Newcastle and Clawhammer both have a FSB of 200mhz but the Newcastle is on a 12x multiplier and the Clawhammer is on an 11x multiplier. If you overclock to a 216mhz fsb with the clawhammer you get a processor speed of 2376mhz. The stock fan that comes with it should be fine. I recommend though that you install the cool n' quiet drivers for it.

-----------------------
  5. Thanks !!
    I have to wait till next monday till all my parts get here to put this together. I am getting excited !!!!!

Thanks,
    Sreeni
  6. You IDIOT! You already bought it and now you want an OPINION! PuLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsE

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
    Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
    Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
  7. CyberCraig: No I am waiting for the rest of the parts to get here. I have not bought the CPU yet. A friend offered the Clawhammer and I have an option to get a Newcastle for the same price.

Come on, I would not do that to you ;)
  8. In that case, nevermind! I guess you're determined to go socket 754 so get the chip that clocks highest.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
    Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
    Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cache MSI-Microstar