Internet help needed

I hope someone can help me. I have a 3 month old Dell 4600. This started a
couple of weeks ago.When I try to access any web page I get the message page
can not be found. Up to yesterday I was able to do email. But today when I
check my messages in outlook express I get the error message that the mail
host can't be found. I dial up my provider and it connects without a
problem. I tried numerous system restores, did norton virus check, but I
can't get the newest updates for norton's as I can't hook up to there
server. Nothing worked. I tried accessing the internet on my old computer
which I'm using now and everything works ok with the account. So it would
have to be something on the Dell. I went through the account settings and
everything looks ok. Any ideas at all to check on. Thanks for the help.
6 answers Last reply
More about internet needed

    "bonnie" <bmh@utma.com> wrote in message
    > I hope someone can help me. I have a 3 month old Dell 4600. This started
    > couple of weeks ago.When I try to access any web page I get the message
    page
    > can not be found. Up to yesterday I was able to do email. But today when
    > check my messages in outlook express I get the error message that the mail
    > host can't be found. I dial up my provider and it connects without a
    > problem. I tried numerous system restores, did norton virus check, but I
    > can't get the newest updates for norton's as I can't hook up to there
    > server. Nothing worked. I tried accessing the internet on my old computer
    > which I'm using now and everything works ok with the account. So it would
    > have to be something on the Dell. I went through the account settings and
    > everything looks ok. Any ideas at all to check on. Thanks for the help.

    My first suspect username/password or other settings in your internet
    connection setup.
    Even if they 'look' correct try deleting and re-entering the information.
    sometimes the file that stores this info becomes corrupt and this will work.
    Also, verify both PC's are dialing the same number as many ISP's have
    multiple connection numbers.
    How are you determining that it connects without a problem (external modem
    or connection indicator in system tray)? It may be that the Dell is getting
    knocked of line for various reasons. Are both PC's being connected to the
    same phone jack?

    All this should be checked by your ISP's help-desk but I see from your other
    response they are trying to pass the buck without even checking.

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > My first suspect username/password or other settings in your internet
    > connection setup.
    > Even if they 'look' correct try deleting and re-entering the information.
    > sometimes the file that stores this info becomes corrupt and this will
    work.
    > Also, verify both PC's are dialing the same number as many ISP's have
    > multiple connection numbers.
    > How are you determining that it connects without a problem (external modem
    > or connection indicator in system tray)? It may be that the Dell is
    getting
    > knocked of line for various reasons. Are both PC's being connected to the
    > same phone jack?
    >
    > All this should be checked by your ISP's help-desk but I see from your
    other
    > response they are trying to pass the buck without even checking.

    I have tried numerous times entering and reentering the passwords and
    settings. I hook up to the same phone jack. I tried the pinging thing in the
    network diagnostics and according to that I was connecting ok. I'm beginning
    to wonder about if my win.dll files are messed up. I know nothing about this
    but searching on the net for my problem sometimes brings this up. It is all
    greek to me when it gets to the registery stuff. Thanks again.

    What suggestions has your ISP made, and what happened when you tried them?

    Rocky

    "bonnie" <bmh@utma.com> wrote in message
    > I hope someone can help me. I have a 3 month old Dell 4600. This started
    > couple of weeks ago.When I try to access any web page I get the message
    page
    > can not be found. Up to yesterday I was able to do email. But today when
    > check my messages in outlook express I get the error message that the mail
    > host can't be found. I dial up my provider and it connects without a
    > problem. I tried numerous system restores, did norton virus check, but I
    > can't get the newest updates for norton's as I can't hook up to there
    > server. Nothing worked. I tried accessing the internet on my old computer
    > which I'm using now and everything works ok with the account. So it would
    > have to be something on the Dell. I went through the account settings and
    > everything looks ok. Any ideas at all to check on. Thanks for the help.

    I called them and when I told them I could get the internet on one computer
    but not on the dell. They said it was the computer so they wouldn't help.

    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > > My first suspect username/password or other settings in your internet
    > > connection setup.
    > > Even if they 'look' correct try deleting and re-entering the
    information.
    > > sometimes the file that stores this info becomes corrupt and this will
    > work.
    > > Also, verify both PC's are dialing the same number as many ISP's have
    > > multiple connection numbers.
    > > How are you determining that it connects without a problem (external
    modem
    > > or connection indicator in system tray)? It may be that the Dell is
    > getting
    > > knocked of line for various reasons. Are both PC's being connected to
    the
    > > same phone jack?
    > >
    > > All this should be checked by your ISP's help-desk but I see from your
    > other
    > > response they are trying to pass the buck without even checking.
    > >
    > I have tried numerous times entering and reentering the passwords and
    > settings. I hook up to the same phone jack. I tried the pinging thing in
    the
    > network diagnostics and according to that I was connecting ok. I'm
    beginning
    > to wonder about if my win.dll files are messed up. I know nothing about
    this
    > but searching on the net for my problem sometimes brings this up. It is
    all
    > greek to me when it gets to the registery stuff. Thanks again.

    Well if you are able to ping the remote host then you are in fact connected.
    What oprating system? What browser?

    did it used to make noise when it dialed your isp? i suspect that you are
    not getting a dial tone to this computer. test the telephone line from the
    wall jack (as it sound like your did with the other computer) then plug that
    into the dell with nothing else on the line. some modems have both a line
    in and a line out... often these get mixed up or something connected to the
    line out (like a defective mobile phone or fax machine) can result in
    no-dialtone.

    "bonnie" <bmh@utma.com> wrote in message
    > I hope someone can help me. I have a 3 month old Dell 4600. This started
    > couple of weeks ago.When I try to access any web page I get the message
    page
    > can not be found. Up to yesterday I was able to do email. But today when
    > check my messages in outlook express I get the error message that the mail
    > host can't be found. I dial up my provider and it connects without a
    > problem. I tried numerous system restores, did norton virus check, but I
    > can't get the newest updates for norton's as I can't hook up to there
    > server. Nothing worked. I tried accessing the internet on my old computer
    > which I'm using now and everything works ok with the account. So it would
    > have to be something on the Dell. I went through the account settings and
    > everything looks ok. Any ideas at all to check on. Thanks for the help.

Dell Computers