Your question

General transatlantic component compatibility

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Compatibility
  • Components
Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2004 7:10:32 AM

After looking at the prices of some of the US hardware, it's looking like I could build my system upto about 10% or so cheaper than over here in the UK, postage included & except the case ;) 

While I know my case will need to be from the UK, what about the motherboard, gfx card etc? Are US components going to work properly when over here?

More about : general transatlantic component compatibility

September 6, 2004 7:16:54 AM

Most cases come with universal switching power supplies. You can even use a U.S. case, just make sure you switch the voltage switch to 240.
The psu delivers the power to everything inside the box. All parts work on the same power, no matter what the psu is plugged into. In other words, parts from any place in the world will be just fine.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2004 8:19:23 AM

It's not like TV's, the only thing you'll probably need to get over there is the monitor, since most monitors don't have voltage switching. Most power supplies do, and all the other system parts are international standard.

Oh, there's the video card, if you're using the TV-Out, U.S. cards have NTSC for TV-out while you'd use PAL, and some cards can't be switched in the driver (others can).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 6, 2004 10:18:49 AM

Wow Crash, you are behind the times on this one. Many current monitors switch automaticly, the rest have a switch.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2004 11:09:41 AM

I've never checked documentation for auto-switching monitors, and never seen a line voltage switch.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 6, 2004 1:50:29 PM

What US sites have you found that ship over here? Virtually all of them seem to think the rest of the world is a myth :eek:  ..

I've often browsed the prices of some US sites and thought about doing this...

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
September 6, 2004 7:33:39 PM

Did you factor in import duties?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro