Help with new cpu.

MikMikey

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
I recently attempted putting in a new processor, the system doesn't boot. Sometimes the fans will come on, and the lights for a second then die, or they come on and the system just sits there.
The processor is a P4 3E, 800MHz Sys Bus and 1mb L2-cache. I have a D865PERL Motherboard and a 300watt power supply, with a 9600 pro radeon vid card.
I updated the bios just before trying the new processor. And I tried to run it with just the harddrive, leaving out the cd drive.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Edit- Oh crap. I checked the "revision" lists at intel. It says Board with... bunch of numbers but hte one that seems to be an issue for me is.. C27646-210 or later and my board is... C27646-209. I need a new board..?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MikMikey on 09/07/04 04:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well you need a new PS for sure. 300Watts for a Prescott and a 9600pro? Nope!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, d00d, Intel and Soyo were among the few makers who's early board revisions had no VRM support for Prescotts!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, you don't need a new board, you need a P4 3.0C processor. It performs a bit better and produces less heat. Don't be a fool for the 1MB L2 Cache of the 3.0E, that extra cache is put there to make up for other inadequacies of the newer core.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>