No video signal to monitor

hammycutma

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,
I have a brand new custom built computer. I assumed that I could take a cloned drive of my old computer and install it in my new one. Well, I took the hard drive from my new computer and installed it in an external drive case and cloned to this drive using Acronis clone tool. Then I installed the cloned drive back in my new computer. Now no signal whatsoever to the monitor. My monitor is good as I tried my old computer with it and it works fine. I hope I haven't done major to my new computer

Soggaz

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
When you boot your computer does it display anything at all? If not spam delete key during start up and it will send you to your BIOS. Find storage devices. ect and switch IDE to ACHI

CDdude55

Distinguished
Unless the specs are the same between the old and new system, it is best to just do a clean install. Cloning is only good if the image is going to be put onto another drive with a similar system setup.

Also, was the new system outputing an image to the monitor before you cloned the drive?, As if it happens only with the cloned drive in, then that's your problem and the solution should be a clean install.

hammycutma

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Thanks for responding to my post. I did attempt a clean install by inserting the Windows 7 disk into the player, but I have got to see something on the screen first and absolutely nothing appears. Yes, it was okay before the bad clone. Thanks again.

hammycutma

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I tried the delete key on startup, no effect. You said, "spam delete", guess that is the delete key?? The first few times I shut if down, I had to hold down on the power button a few seconds, (normal), but now all I do is just touch the switch and it shuts down. You can respond to Fortsand@cox.net. You are the only one that responded with a suggestion that I could use. Thanks.

hammycutma

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
This is an update to my original problem. I took my machine in to a local technician. While I was there, he went through some basic troubleshooting. Connected to the VGA outputs there was no signal, same problem I had. He removed the PCIE video card and then he got a bios screen. Evidently, the video card had been selected as the default display in the BIOS. By removing the card it automatically went back to the VGA output. I was glad to see something on the screen. I left the machine with him to install Windows and insure that there are no more gremlins. I appreciate all the response.

hammycutma

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
There is nothing wrong with the card. The default video must be selected in the BIOS.
By selecting the card in the BIOS, it worked fine. I think everything is fine now. It was my fault for not understanding the cloning program up front. Thanks for your response.