Local C and "system Reserved E"?????

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys, I have a Western Digital 500gb harddrive that came with a "Cyberpower" gaming computer. Now , cyberpower provided a Windows 7 "repair" CD, not the ACTUAL retail CD. They did provide a CD KEY on the side of the computer case for windows 7 though.

WELL, I used to the CD because my Win. 7 was runing buggy, and installed Win. 7 fresh install (or so I thought)

Now, when I boot up, in my "Computer" folder, I see Local C: drive, and a "SYSTEM RESERVED E:" DRIVE with 61.8MB in use out of 99.9MB

Can someone please, explain to me what the heck this is? Did I install a second operating system? How can Ifix this??

Thank you for any help and advice,
-Alberto Pizano

Solution
Windows 7 creates a 100MB recovery partition and makes it the boot partition. When you boot, it loads the boot loader from the recovery partition and then loads the OS from the main C: drive.

The point of doing this is that if the C: drive becomes corrupt or inaccessible, there are tools in the recovery partition that will start in it's place and which can help to repair or recover the OS.
Windows 7 creates a 100MB recovery partition and makes it the boot partition. When you boot, it loads the boot loader from the recovery partition and then loads the OS from the main C: drive.

The point of doing this is that if the C: drive becomes corrupt or inaccessible, there are tools in the recovery partition that will start in it's place and which can help to repair or recover the OS.

Solution

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I see thank you.

If I have install windows 7 again on my local C, (if it seems to be loading slow or whatever),

Will it create ANOTHER system E recovery partition? I don't want three of them in there lol

I'm not sure how smart it is about detecting and reusing the recovery partition.

What I do is remove all other drives except the OS drive and then delete all partitions during the install process. That gets me a nice, virgin install with the recovery partition on the same drive as the OS (Windows will put it on another drive if it can).