should i wait longer??

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
Hey all,
I am about to build a new pc in the near future, was planning on using one of those amd 64 winchesters that will be coming out soon. My question is, should I go with the winchester, or wait until at least mid 2005 for the dual core amd cpus?? I know they will be better , but will they be like crazily better??

Thanks, Jeff

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I think get the winchester because in early 2005 they will probably announce quadro core or something like that and you'll start waiting again
Thats what happened to me It took me a year and a half to buy the parts. First i wanted 800 Bus then I wanted 3.2 then the prescott. Then when it came out the price was too high and i had to wait for the price to fall
I think you should get the winchester

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

Jacinto

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004
If you wait, what you have your eye on will be very expensive. Like the previous poster says, you'll then have to wait months for the price to drop. Are there things you want to do with the computer now? In the next few weeks or months? Or are you content to wait until Christmas 2005 to play the games you want to play on maxed settings?

I know there's lots of technological advances coming but I don't care. I'm buying a system now and I'm going to enjoy it now, and if later on I want to drop a few hundred bucks on the new technology then that's what I'll do. In the meantime I'll use and enjoy what's afforable and available and proven to work well.

- J

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
I also say go with the winchester and then hold on to what ya got until the dust settles. I just did a recent upgrade and couldnt decide if I wanted to wait until there were some AMD mobo's with PCIe, but I said nutz to it and went ahead anyway. When the new stuff starts to make an appearance it's possible you might not be able to pay the premium for the new stuff so go with what you can afford now.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
There's <i>always</i> something new and shiny just around the corner, and you can end up waiting forever.

Just set a budget, and when you have the cash buy whatever's best at the time for your needs.. that's how I do it anyways.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742

Ettienne_E

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
Listen to the last previous reply.

I also wanted all sorts of stuff, but eventually it costs more $$$$$$$ than you thought, because of all the latest technologies.

I recently put everything, but i decided to get the part now otherwise i would wait forever to put my pc together.

I haven't got exactly what i wanted, but at least i can upgrade in the future.

<font color=red> Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee </font color=red> by Casius Clay aka Mohammed Ali

<font color=blue> Good morning and incase i dont chat to you good afternoon , good evening and good night </font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you wait 3 months, then at that time something else new and faster will be a few months away, and something newer and faster a few months away, and so on and so on....

Buy when you can afford to. Never wait. There is always something newer and better around the corner. If you wait, you will end up waiting forever.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

endyen

Splendid
Exactly. Buy what you need, when you need it, and can afford it. If you are already running an A64 3000+ with an X800, upgrading to an A64 4000+ and a 6800 graphics card, makes no sense. If your old rig is slower than an xp1700+, and you have the money, upgrade today.