Ok. HERE's one for ya.

MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
connections. Fine.

Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
WIRED connection.

So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
it's just not a quality purchase.
7 answers Last reply
More about here

    Have you enabled MAC filtering (you can sign into the basestation from
    any computer wired or wireless that can connect to check this one)?

    Have you tried a soft reset on the router (unplug the power for at least
    5 seconds)?

    Have you tried a hard reset on the router (push in the reset button with
    a pointy object until the power light flashes amber & green)?

    Also please run a spell check before posting as Microsoft has two "O's"
    in it not one. I really hate it when people don't at least run a spell
    check.

    Warren wrote:

    > MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
    > try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
    > connections. Fine.
    >
    > Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
    > so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
    > firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
    > WIRED connection.
    >
    > So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
    > And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
    > guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
    > that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
    > it's just not a quality purchase.

    > MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
    > try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
    > connections. Fine.

    What have you tried? How about providing some information so someone can
    assist.

    > Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
    > so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
    > firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
    > WIRED connection.

    > So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
    > And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
    > guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
    > that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
    > it's just not a quality purchase.

    It's easy to complain about something if it's not working the way it's
    supposed to. But you haven't told us anything at all about what you've done
    to make it work. "No matter what I try"..... doesn't mean a thing to
    anyone in this forum.

    But does in work when you connect it directly to the cable/adsl modem ?

    "Warren" <nospam@please.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    032701c499e1$69377530$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
    > try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
    > connections. Fine.
    >
    > Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
    > so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
    > firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
    > WIRED connection.
    >
    > So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
    > And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
    > guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
    > that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
    > it's just not a quality purchase.

    Oh good lord.. are you people kidding me? I've been
    wrestling with this beast for a month and a half! Asking
    what I've done to get it up and running is like asking
    someone what they ate... ...every day in 1982.

    I shall do my best.

    First, the basics:

    Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333
    Boot code version: 02.00.08.0333
    LAN MAC address: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    MAC address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

    >Have you enabled MAC filtering (you can sign into the
    basestation from
    >any computer wired or wireless that can connect to check
    this one)?

    I have tried enabling MAC filtering with my specific MAC
    ID - no luck. I have tried completely disabling MAC
    filtering after having just done a hard reset - no luck.

    >Have you tried a soft reset on the router (unplug the
    power for at least
    >5 seconds)?

    You ARE a joker, aren't you. Only about 5000 times.
    I've reset and reset and tested and tested - I'll go out
    on a limb and say EVERY possible combination of options
    and still to no avail.

    >Have you tried a hard reset on the router (push in the
    reset button with
    >a pointy object until the power light flashes amber &
    green)?

    Grrrr. Yes. Of course.

    Here is what I have determined after HOURS and HOURS of
    testing:

    The wireless portion works PERFECTLY. No issues or
    problems. No drops, no speed problems, WPA is enabled
    and working just fine.

    The rear 4 ports simply do not function. They illuminate
    when connected to a valid ethernet connection, but have
    never, since I purchased this piece, been able to connect
    to a wired computer. I've tried it in AP mode, router
    mode, enabling and disabling WPA, enabling and disabling
    WEP 64 and 128, using ZERO encryption, turning on the
    firewall, turning off the firewall.. The modem port
    works just fine.

    If you ~~even suggest~~ updating my firmware... let me
    assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
    from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
    detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
    unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
    attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
    saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
    attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
    routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
    the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
    every way, I have followed the scientific method to
    a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.

    I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
    I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
    I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
    Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
    most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could
    handle the frustration.

    If you have the answer - I'M ALL EARS.

    This probably doesn't pertain to your problem but here's the one that I
    have. I have everything powered through my APU and when I power up the
    router boots faster than the cable modem. I then have no connection to the
    internet until I go into the MBNU Management Tool, release my IP address and
    renew it. After that everything is fine.

> [...]
    > assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
    > from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
    > detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
    > unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
    > attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
    > saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
    > attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
    > routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
    > the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
    > every way, I have followed the scientific method to
    > a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.
    >
    > I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
    > I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
    > I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
    > Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
    > most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could

    Download the firmware update here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx

    You should also give Broadband Networking support a call (the number is in
    the back of the manual). If you do have a hardware issue, they can send you
    a replacement (can't do that from newsgroup support).

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> [...]
    > assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
    > from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
    > detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
    > unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
    > attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
    > saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
    > attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
    > routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
    > the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
    > every way, I have followed the scientific method to
    > a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.
    >
    > I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
    > I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
    > I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
    > Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
    > most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could

    Thank you for including the link to the firmware update.
    I hadn't tried that. (sigh) Clearly you have earned
    your MVP status through careful and deliberate scrutiny
    of users' posts.

    RMA here I come.

Routers Connection Firmware Networking