Ok. HERE's one for ya.

Last response: in Networking
September 13, 2004 7:31:28 PM

MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
connections. Fine.

Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
WIRED connection.

So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
it's just not a quality purchase.

More about : question

September 13, 2004 10:40:50 PM

Have you enabled MAC filtering (you can sign into the basestation from
any computer wired or wireless that can connect to check this one)?

Have you tried a soft reset on the router (unplug the power for at least
5 seconds)?

Have you tried a hard reset on the router (push in the reset button with
a pointy object until the power light flashes amber & green)?

Also please run a spell check before posting as Microsoft has two "O's"
in it not one. I really hate it when people don't at least run a spell
check.

Warren wrote:

> MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
> try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
> connections. Fine.
>
> Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
> so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
> firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
> WIRED connection.
>
> So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
> And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
> guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
> that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
> it's just not a quality purchase.
September 13, 2004 10:42:35 PM

> MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
> try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
> connections. Fine.

What have you tried? How about providing some information so someone can
assist.

> Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
> so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
> firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
> WIRED connection.

> So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
> And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
> guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
> that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
> it's just not a quality purchase.

It's easy to complain about something if it's not working the way it's
supposed to. But you haven't told us anything at all about what you've done
to make it work. "No matter what I try"..... doesn't mean a thing to
anyone in this forum.
Related resources
September 14, 2004 12:23:20 AM

But does in work when you connect it directly to the cable/adsl modem ?

"Warren" <nospam@please.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
032701c499e1$69377530$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> MN-700 connects just fine wirelessly but NO MATTER WHAT I
> try it will not connect to ANY wired ethernet
> connections. Fine.
>
> Perhaps it's time for a firmware update. Ah ah ah, not
> so fast! I can only connect with it wirelessly - and
> firmware updates can only be performed DIRECTLY by a
> WIRED connection.
>
> So, I suppose I've got myself a wireless access point.
> And I thought purchasing a Micros0ft product would
> guarantee premium compatibility. It's hardly a wonder
> that Microsft is distancing themselves from this product -
> it's just not a quality purchase.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:25:46 AM

Oh good lord.. are you people kidding me? I've been
wrestling with this beast for a month and a half! Asking
what I've done to get it up and running is like asking
someone what they ate... ...every day in 1982.

I shall do my best.

First, the basics:

Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333
Boot code version: 02.00.08.0333
LAN MAC address: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
MAC address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

>Have you enabled MAC filtering (you can sign into the
basestation from
>any computer wired or wireless that can connect to check
this one)?

I have tried enabling MAC filtering with my specific MAC
ID - no luck. I have tried completely disabling MAC
filtering after having just done a hard reset - no luck.

>Have you tried a soft reset on the router (unplug the
power for at least
>5 seconds)?

You ARE a joker, aren't you. Only about 5000 times.
I've reset and reset and tested and tested - I'll go out
on a limb and say EVERY possible combination of options
and still to no avail.

>Have you tried a hard reset on the router (push in the
reset button with
>a pointy object until the power light flashes amber &
green)?

Grrrr. Yes. Of course.

Here is what I have determined after HOURS and HOURS of
testing:

The wireless portion works PERFECTLY. No issues or
problems. No drops, no speed problems, WPA is enabled
and working just fine.

The rear 4 ports simply do not function. They illuminate
when connected to a valid ethernet connection, but have
never, since I purchased this piece, been able to connect
to a wired computer. I've tried it in AP mode, router
mode, enabling and disabling WPA, enabling and disabling
WEP 64 and 128, using ZERO encryption, turning on the
firewall, turning off the firewall.. The modem port
works just fine.

If you ~~even suggest~~ updating my firmware... let me
assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
every way, I have followed the scientific method to
a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.

I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could
handle the frustration.

If you have the answer - I'M ALL EARS.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 4:54:37 AM

This probably doesn't pertain to your problem but here's the one that I
have. I have everything powered through my APU and when I power up the
router boots faster than the cable modem. I then have no connection to the
internet until I go into the MBNU Management Tool, release my IP address and
renew it. After that everything is fine.

> [...]
> assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
> from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
> detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
> unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
> attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
> saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
> attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
> routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
> the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
> every way, I have followed the scientific method to
> a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.
>
> I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
> I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
> I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
> Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
> most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could

September 14, 2004 5:51:19 AM

Download the firmware update here.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...

You should also give Broadband Networking support a call (the number is in
the back of the manual). If you do have a hardware issue, they can send you
a replacement (can't do that from newsgroup support).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> [...]
> assure you that I have tried. I can run MSBNupdate.exe
> from either a wired or wireless connection - they can
> detect the presence of the MN-700. I am, of course,
> unable to update via a wireless connection. When I
> attempt to update from a wired connection it fails out,
> saying it is unable to complete the update. I have
> attempted to set it as an AP, use another DHCP-enabled
> routher (with all fireall options disabled) and update
> the firmware - same error. I've tried every port in
> every way, I have followed the scientific method to
> a 'T,'and am completely fed up with this unit.
>
> I'm no dummy and routers aren't difficult to configure.
> I've searched for help until even Google gave up on me.
> I've done EVERYTHING I can, short of wasting my time with
> Microsoft Techies that will merely walk me through the
> most basic of BASIC steps - and I don't think I could

September 15, 2004 12:12:32 PM

Thank you for including the link to the firmware update.
I hadn't tried that. (sigh) Clearly you have earned
your MVP status through careful and deliberate scrutiny
of users' posts.

RMA here I come.

DLoadMain.mspx

!