• Monitors
  • DVI
  • VGA
  • Samsung
  • Macintosh
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 17, 2011 2:40:46 AM

I have a Mac G4 terminal. I have it connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 2043 BWX monitor, using a VGA connection. The connector to the Samsung monitor is a VGA female. I would rather have a DVI connection to the Samsung monitor. I have an adaptor for the VGA female to the DVI plug in, but the horizontal male plug in piece (on one side of the DVI plug in) does not fit the Samsung space.
Is there a specific name for the DVI adaptor that I am missing?
How do I fix this?

Bill

More about : samsung monitor dvi mac vga adaptor

a b C Monitor
August 17, 2011 11:54:55 PM

You cannot use a VGA to DVI adapter at the monitor; they only work at the computer.
m
l
August 29, 2011 4:00:47 AM

The Painter said:
I have a Mac G4 terminal. I have it connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 2043 BWX monitor, using a VGA connection. The connector to the Samsung monitor is a VGA female. I would rather have a DVI connection to the Samsung monitor. I have an adaptor for the VGA female to the DVI plug in, but the horizontal male plug in piece (on one side of the DVI plug in) does not fit the Samsung space.
Is there a specific name for the DVI adaptor that I am missing?
How do I fix this?

Bill

New information: I found a vga male to DVI - I adaptor. This would work great if the DVI was a DVI-D and not a DVI-I.
The answer I received from Phil Frisbie suggested that I cannot use a VGA to DVI adaptor at the monitor; they only work at
the computer. If this is so, I need a VGA adaptor to a cable that would be a VGA male and a DVI-D at the monitor end.
Is this correct?

Bill
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2011 8:01:46 PM

Let me be more clear:

If your Mac G4 only has a VGA video connector, then there is no way you can easily change that to a DVI connector for your monitor. And even if you could there would be no advantage because the source VGA is still analog, and if it could be converted to digital you would still not have the clarity of a direct digital DVI connection.
m
l
August 30, 2011 1:17:31 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Let me be more clear:

If your Mac G4 only has a VGA video connector, then there is no way you can easily change that to a DVI connector for your monitor. And even if you could there would be no advantage because the source VGA is still analog, and if it could be converted to digital you would still not have the clarity of a direct digital DVI connection.

Thanks Phil.

Bill
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2011 7:13:51 PM

Hey Bill,

Sorry if I came across poorly Not knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve made me guess at what you were likely thinking.
m
l
!