Prescot vs Northwood ... again

Tbog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
OK ... so i know that this is no new topic but when this was debated the p4E was just released and that was a long time ago when far cry , doom 3 and cs source anh hl 2 demos were not here so the question is : are there any prescot vs northwood tests with recent games? and is prescot such a bad choice after all since i can't get my hands on a 3GHz northwood here.All the people i've talked to say that there are no northwood's in stock and that they don't know when the next shipment is due to come and one of them even told me that intel might not produce northwood any more , IS THIS TRUE ?

And , yes , i know that amd64 is a better choice for gaming but since that's not the only thing that i'm going to use my computer for i chose intel.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you must get a Prescott get one with the DO stepping and use the recommended case/duct set-up for maximum cooling.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Or do what I do and use a Northwood and OC it to 4ghz.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure he would like that IF HE COULD BUY A NORTHWOOD!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power

RichPLS

Champion
The speed differnce between Prescott and Northwood wasn't enough for me to worry about so I upgraded from my Athlon 1800+ to a Prescott 3200 (chip cost $230). I love it!!!
Benchmarks are fast, and chip stays cool using Cooler Pro.
Fast and stable, with latest core, and headroom to spare.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
i got the co stepping is that bad?
whats the difference between the d0?
thanks

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

Tbog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Ok ...
I read about the DO stepping but i don't understand what it is and how should i know that the cpu that i want to buy
has it?Also what is the advantage with this "DO stepping" ?

What is "the recommended case/duct set-up for maximum cooling" ? ... (a link will do)

And what are your opinions on the intel boxed cooler that comes with 3.0 c/e ? is it worth to buy an extra cooler if i'm interested in overclocking ? (i buy the boxed version for the 3 year warranty)
what overclocking level should i expect to get from a good air cooler with the prescot?is it much lower compared to the same setup with the northwood ?

thanks!

RichPLS

Champion
There is an advantage overclocking with Prescott, altough minor, for it has a higher ceiling.
So, ya done good!

========================
Try everything...

RichPLS

Champion
Intel has decided to make some minor modifications to the Prescott core. Semiconductor companies frequently make minor changes to processor cores, and these revisions are generally referred to as steppings. Prescott will go from a "C-0" stepping to a "D-0" stepping. The D-0 stepping is expected to feature optimizations to reduce power requirements and heat dissipation. The current 3.4GHz Prescott core can dissipate up to 100 watts, and Prescott CPU cores overclocked to 3.8GHz run at up to 171 degrees Farenheit. Intel therefore may be making some minor process tweaks to allow Prescott to achieve 4GHz operation while maintaining reasonable heat dissipation. The process tweaks may also marginally increase processor speeds. Alternately, this new stepping may have nothing to do with heat dissipation, but may simply be to increase yields. Surprisingly, Prescott does not appear to use any clock-throttling technology, which could substantially reduce power consumption/heat dissipation. Next year, when 4GHz Pentium 4s are widely available, the early troubles with Prescott may largely be forgotten. Moreover, heat-dissipation issues will undoubtedly plague virtually all sub-100 nanometer CPUs. Yet the combination of high-leakage transistors and Prescott's 31-stage pipeline may pose particularly difficult technical problems for Intel's engineers.

========================
Try everything...

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Huh?

Tbog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
ok ... so that's a stepping but how do i know if it's a d0 cpu before i buy it ... if i can see it before i do ... (but i can't take it home to run some cpuz's)

TRENDING THREADS