Upgrading to Pentium 4 from Athlon? Help

kimbers

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
Help. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. I currently have an AMD Athlon Barton 3000+ but was thinking of Upgrading to a Pentium 4. I'm not up with Pentium processors. I've read that hyperthreading will really boost performance but i'm slightly confused by these new Prescott chips, do these have hyperthreading?

Am i also going to see much of a performance boost by upgrading to a 3.2 p4 with HT from an Athlon.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
The new prescott chips have hyperthreading alright, and a somewhat improved version of it. They are reasonable chips; not the best, but good. Typically, A64 will do better.

Also, I'm sorry to ask, but I just had to: <i>Why</i> do you want to upgrade that computer? It is still quite a respectable one!...... Your choice, of course.

And as for a 3.2 P4, yes, it will probably be quite a bit faster than your 3000+ Barton. Your Barton is probably equivalent to a 2.6Ghz P4 or maybe, best case scenario for you, 2.8Ghz at most...

If I were you, I would only upgrade by the time that made a big difference (like 150+% of performance, or whatever...) For what will you be needing this computer?

kimbers

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
My PC is used primarily for Games. I'm abit of a junkie for high detail & resolutions, I have a 19" monitor & try to run them at 1280x1074 resultion with the detail turned up. I have 1GB of ram & a 128mb Radeon 9800 pro

This has been ok up to now. Call of duty runs a treat with detail switched up. To my surprise Doom 3 faired quite well too. However, i've just recently down;loaded the demo of Medal of Honour pacific assault & my PC ground to a halt, it seemed to struggle to almost Far Cry proportions.

I switched the settings down to 1024x768 with medium detail which was fine.

What i'm trying to gauge is whether ugrading to a p4 3200+ is going to make a vast amount of difference, i'm keeping the graphics card & memory as they are.

RichPLS

Champion
I don't think HyperThreading will help you on most games. It has to have programs that are multi-threaded to gain a boost from this feature. Your 98pro is probally the culprit behind D3 failing to run at your desired resolutions. Not the processor.
I am mostly on the Intel camp, but I work with pro-graphics and video editing which makes my claim easy, but is also good for gaming.
But for a game junkie, I can not help but to wonder why you would want to go Prescott, verses AMD64-3800+ with the ATI-X800XT graphics card.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

RichPLS

Champion
But seriously, if you just upgrade your grafix to the X800XT (~$500), and keep your current rig, you'll probally be somewhat satisfied with Doom 3 action.
If not, then look at mobo with chip upgrade, after that.

========================
Try everything...

RichPLS

Champion
I gotta say, I wish I could afford to upgrade every 6 months or so to the newest latest and greatest!!!
Will you send me your old crappy board and processor when you upgrade???

========================
Try everything...

kimbers

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
Usually i'm quite up on whats new etc but i've not been reading much about the new cards & stuff recently.

I need to try & keep my costs to about £250 ( $450), buying an x800xt will mean a new m/board too.

I sell my old components on Ebay every time i upgrade to help offset the cost. I can usually cover approx 50% of the cost.

So can i assume that 64bit Athlons are better then the P4s?

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I try to build people computers before the value of the computer goes down (typically every 3 or 4 months) I dont lose a penny
plus i make a few houndred for myself

I think you should keep saving up
then buy the x800 and a new board

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Wow your all have some kind of problems....the x800 run way slower than the 6800 in Call of duty AND doom3...A 6800gt(100$ less) will get you x800xt performances and more in those games....LOL

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you realy are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

RichPLS

Champion
The ATI X800 Pro and XT versions come in AGP or PCI express.
So, should work fine in your board...and can take it along with next one.

========================
Try everything...

RichPLS

Champion
Coylter,
Hold on there, Not way behind, try only about 10% on two games for now, and that is only until driver improvements are made by ATI. The raw graphic processing power is clearly faster on ATI's X800-XT.
And what about Unreal, Halo, Far Cry??? ATI is clearly faster there.
anyways...

Both the nVidea 6800 Ultra and the ATI X800-XT are top graphic dogs in the gaming world.

It boils down to personal preference, and I put my money on ATI for mine.

========================
Try everything...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
In the high-end graphics cards, the 6800GT is probably your best bet, unless you want the best of the best cards... It has all 16 rendering pipelines active, like the $500 graphics cards, but is also quite cheaper. It will kill the X800 Pro because of the 16 pipelines.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Picking up the extra pipes is risky as hell, much more so than overclocking. I wouldn't recommend it.

Plus, this "oh, OC and mod it and they'll be the same" is not quite a good argument... the GT can easily be overclocked as well and might even reach Ultra speeds. If this guy gets it to 400+Mhz, it'll topple even the X800 XT...

(that's the problem with <i>if</i>)

RichPLS

Champion
I agree that flashing BIOS to unlock extra pipes is risky business, and I sure would not do this to a new card.
Compareing boxed cards is the key, o/c'ing is another.

========================
Try everything...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Flashing the BIOS?

I was under the impression that you actually had to change the physical layout of the board's interconnects in order to free those extra four pipelines. Flashing the bios is a comparatively hazard-free operation......

RichPLS

Champion
The way I understood it, you flash the BIOS with a modded one to unlock the other 4 pipelines.
I have also heard of using a modified driver to unlock the pipelines.
I have not heard of hard modding it to unlock them, but who knows? Could be a way.
And flashing with a modded BIOS does carry risks.
Using manufacturers BIOS to flash carries only the usual risks, ie a power failure.

========================
Try everything...

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Don't upgrade your CPU right now. Upgrade your graphics card to GeForce 6800GT. Radeon X800 Pro is an inferior card and there's no point of buying overpriced GeForce 6800 Ulta and Radeon X800 XT

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>