Sign in with
Your question

Stay Mac or Back to Windows?

Tags:
Last response: in Mac Os X
March 17, 2011 2:17:14 AM

Hello, I just bought an ASUS G53J (Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 740QM : 1.73 GHz Quad-Core) series laptop on Amazon for 1370 out the door which includes 2 year warranty, and 1 year accidental which is incredible since Apple would costs at least 189 plus. Doesn't have Blu-ray but it's high dif, includes 8gb of ram upgradable to 16-Wow. Also includes a 750 GB HD and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M, with 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM.

But it's heavy and I hate the way it looks. Why did I buy it? So that all members of the family would be happy and my husband and child are gamers. I'm an Apple person mostly use my machine for art/photography/and video.

My question to you gaming experts. Can I get that level of power from the lastest Macbook Pro 13 inch at which costs about 1300 at least for the i7 quad and if i really want to witness the difference in power, Apple claims I should consider no less than the 15 inch which I'm looking at 1700-2100.

Is it worth it and can Macpro games play 3d level games?

More about : stay mac back windows

March 29, 2011 7:55:45 PM

No you will not see the same power on an apple laptop as the ASUS you listed, at least not yet. The Closest you could come is the 17" MBP with a gfx card: AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, the price tag 2499.00, and thats still with 4gb of RAM. Most of the gaming power comes from the graphics card, which unfortunately, apple has just started paying attention to.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2011 7:29:40 AM

IMO i do not recommend buying any apple laptops although the os is superior in many areas. The macbook will come close with the 17" at max specs. However, on the side for the price......its not worth it

Just to skip the crap, if you build or pay someone else to build another computer you can get a monster desktop for that type of a price. Not worth buying a MacBook
But if you prefer a laptop then I wouldn't recommend anything more than the current line of MacBooks
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:05:14 PM

Getting the same level of power from a Mac as you get from that ASUS is going to cost you at least $500 extra. As a Mac user you should know that ^_^. Of course, you also have to factor in dual booting so you can run Windows games. Games that run on PCs and Macs often run slower on OSX than Windows with the same hardware.
m
l
August 5, 2011 3:47:03 PM

Hello. To correctly answer your question, a 15" midrange macbook pro at 2199 is all u would need. It has the same video hardware as the 17" and u can connect it to a monitor if you really need extra screen space/size. As far as 3d gaming, I play WoW and Starcraft II on it and anything else, and i do all right with the base 15" model with 1/4 the video hardware so if your considering a mac for a hardcore gamer, go with the 2.2 or 2.3 quadcores, and the more than adequate 1gb video hardware. And remember, mac users pay more for what they get because they get more 8) All thought im gonna say running your games under windows 7/xp/vista (you can run all those os's at the same time if you want, and lion) is the way to go because they do run faster under windows, but they dont run better. windows is windows.
m
l
August 11, 2011 10:21:35 AM

adelavan buy a mac or keep the asus and have linux on it!!!if they want to play games buy them a console they are a lot cheaper!!!:p 
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:07:28 AM

crapfacednoob said:
IMO i do not recommend buying any apple laptops although the os is superior in many areas. The macbook will come close with the 17" at max specs. However, on the side for the price......its not worth it

Just to skip the crap, if you build or pay someone else to build another computer you can get a monster desktop for that type of a price. Not worth buying a MacBook
But if you prefer a laptop then I wouldn't recommend anything more than the current line of MacBooks
Where is the resale value of the PC you build? Down the toilet.No one wants someone else's home made computers.Why are youk nocking MAC?
m
l
August 12, 2011 6:33:02 AM

I certainly think you have a point there, Marv. Many Mac owners seem to upgrade every time a new machine comes out and so resale value is a big plus. PC users, in my experience, tend to hang on to their equipment longer, maybe upgrading it a little, so resale value isn't so important.

Having said that, if you pay $2000 for computer M, $1000 dollars for computer P, M loses half its value, P loses 75% of its value - do the sums; which has cost you the most?

Each to their own.
m
l
August 13, 2011 2:23:59 AM

Ijack said:
I certainly think you have a point there, Marv. Many Mac owners seem to upgrade every time a new machine comes out and so resale value is a big plus. PC users, in my experience, tend to hang on to their equipment longer, maybe upgrading it a little, so resale value isn't so important.

Having said that, if you pay $2000 for computer M, $1000 dollars for computer P, M loses half its value, P loses 75% of its value - do the sums; which has cost you the most?

Each to their own.
You are right everyone has their own opinion.
m
l
August 14, 2011 2:02:57 AM

Really sorry if this post is hard to follow, but if you bear with me I think you'll find a lot of good info.

ok... all mac vs pc bickering aside the question is whether to keep the asus or bring it back and get a mac. Poster likes macs better but got the PC to give into family. The 13 inch macbook pro is out of the question(for gaming) as it runs on sandy bridge integrated graphics, it would work for some of the lower end games on the lowest setting but SB graphics are crap when it comes to gaming.

The 15 inch or 17 inch would be your only choice, I'd go with the radeon 6750 option on the 15 inch so that would be about $2100, I just priced it out yesterday. The 17 would be more expensive, not sure of the price on that. Truthfully the 6750 would be good enough to run any game out there currently, just not as high of graphical settings as the 460m. If you want to see the difference check out this website http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...
So your looking at Crysis 2 on high 52fps for the 460 vs 38fps on the 6750. Also, mac doesn't have a very good selection of games so to play ALL the latest games you would have to duel boot windows/mac.

To recap Asus positives = has 4 more gigs of ram, runs games faster, bigger screen and cost $1300 negatives = is bulky and you don't like the look, my guess is your alot more comfortable running os x too.

The macbook pro 15" positives = looks better, more comfortable with the os, can run any game out there right now just not as fast as the asus. negatives = tips the scale at $2100 and that's before windows if u want to duel boot, less ram
Which one to buy? Your choice my friend.
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:48:04 AM

UhavbenkildbyGW said:
Really sorry if this post is hard to follow, but if you bear with me I think you'll find a lot of good info.

ok... all mac vs pc bickering aside the question is whether to keep the asus or bring it back and get a mac. Poster likes macs better but got the PC to give into family. The 13 inch macbook pro is out of the question(for gaming) as it runs on sandy bridge integrated graphics, it would work for some of the lower end games on the lowest setting but SB graphics are crap when it comes to gaming.

The 15 inch or 17 inch would be your only choice, I'd go with the radeon 6750 option on the 15 inch so that would be about $2100, I just priced it out yesterday. The 17 would be more expensive, not sure of the price on that. Truthfully the 6750 would be good enough to run any game out there currently, just not as high of graphical settings as the 460m. If you want to see the difference check out this website http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...
So your looking at Crysis 2 on high 52fps for the 460 vs 38fps on the 6750. Also, mac doesn't have a very good selection of games so to play ALL the latest games you would have to duel boot windows/mac.

To recap Asus positives = has 4 more gigs of ram, runs games faster, bigger screen and cost $1300 negatives = is bulky and you don't like the look, my guess is your alot more comfortable running os x too.

The macbook pro 15" positives = looks better, more comfortable with the os, can run any game out there right now just not as fast as the asus. negatives = tips the scale at $2100 and that's before windows if u want to duel boot, less ram
Which one to buy? Your choice my friend.

If gaming is paramount the Asus is the clear winner, IMO. Its less expensive and engineered for gaming. While I favor the Mac Pro for its OS and its design it may be overpriced. The MBP is going to offer you better battery life but the the Asus offers you replaceable batteries. I have the 15" MBP...and I love it, I truly do, everytime I use...but if gaming was significant to me I could do significantly better for significantly less. This is clearly subjective, but as far as trackpads go, I don't think anything is even in the same league as Apple's products. Its truly laborious to use another laptop's trackpad having grown accustomed to that offered by Apple. I hope it is sucessfully copied/improved-upon along with the gestures. Also compelling is the 1680x1050 anti-glare display on the BTO 15", its truly a beautiful display. The price for the Apple laptops is just a sad shame. I would love to see them be several hundred dollars less so that more could enjoy them.
m
l
!