XP profile locked?

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I reinstalled XP and created a new username. But when I look under documents and settings, my old username is still there but I can't access the folder or anything under it. It says: Access denied...make sure its not in use or write protect. I don't know what the problem is. All the files on my desktop are still taking up space on my HD. I tried to create the same old username again but it shows as *username*.windows under the documents and settings folder. Can anyone tell me what I can do to recover or access my old username profile? I tried to look at system restore but there are no dates available since the problem occured. I also had a password on the old username and it was my administrator account. I tried to use norton ghost to clone the hd onto a new hd and see if I would be able to access it but it still don't work.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
You need admin rights by the sound of it. Try username: Administrator
and use the password you used to set up originally or the one you use now, never know.
Apparently there is a backdoor way of retrieving/changing the usernames and passwords but I do not know it.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 10/22/02 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I tried to create the same username but it won't work, and i tried to use administrator but it won't do it either. I'm pretty sure there is a backdoor to access the files since windows still access them when i defrag and when norton ghost clones. Next thing i might try is changing it to FAT32 instead of NTFS.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Why don't you try disabling "use welcome screen", log off, then manually type in the adminstrator for the user name to log as administrator? I've used this method to log as administrator.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
If you go from NTFS to Fat you will have to formatt to do it, you can go to NTFS from FAT. But I fail to see the advantage of what you are trying to achieve by doing so.

When did you change this username anyway?
You may be able to use system restore to a prior date to hopefully reverse what you did, perhaps you have a backup too?

Or even at Windows bootup hit F8 and load last known good configuration.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
just logon as admin or an acc with admin rights, right click the folder, properties, security and change ownership.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
compuhan: how do u disable the windows logon menu so that I could manually type in the username?
scotty35: if i use partition magic i dun think i need to format it to switch, but the reason i reinstalled windows was bc i replaced mb and cpu, so there is no restore pt (dunno the reason, but i looked into it) and last known configuration won't work.
calv: I don't see a security tab under properties, I only see general, sharing, and customize. under sharing there is nothing about changing ownership, I read searches on hotbot that someone did that but neither me nor my friend could figure out where the tabs were. Perhaps it is bc I'm using xp pro?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
change the user logon screen from control panel/users/change the way users log on/off

I'll get back to you about the lack of permissions tab, something to do with enabling/disabling simple file sharing

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, quote from <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304040" target="_new">m$ kb</A>

Enabling and Disabling Simple File Sharing
Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing enabled. Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup have the Simple File Sharing UI enabled by default. Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a domain use only the classic file sharing and security interface. When you use the Simple File Sharing UI (located in the folder's properties), both share and file permissions are configured.

If you disable Simple File Sharing, you have more control over the permissions to individual users; however, you must have advanced knowledge of NTFS and share permissions to keep your folders and files secure. If you disable Simple File Sharing, the Shared Documents feature is not turned off.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional:
Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab, and then click to select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to enable Simple File Sharing (click to clear this check box to disable this feature).

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Thanks guys for all your help! CALV i disabled the simple file sharing and was able to take ownership of the folder and subfolders. Thanks a bunch! Everythings back to normal now. Yayeee!!!! Very helpful forum. Thanks again!