Prescott C0 to D0 Stepping & SSE3

RichPLS

Champion
FYI...

The Pentium 4 processors with 1MB L2 cache on the 90nm process technology underwent C-0 to the D-0 core processor stepping change. The newer D-0 stepping will incorporate planned power optimizations to enable speed enhancements. These were available in March, but in quantity beginning in May.

Prescott's SSE3 Instructions
The new 90nm Pentium 4 adds 13 new SSE instructions, aka "Prescott New Instructions." These include:

* An instruction to speed up x87 floating point to integer conversion
* Five instructions to improve the efficiency of loading, moving and duplicating SIMD data, useful in complex arithmetic algorithms
* An instruction to avoid cache line splits when loading data, useful in certain video compression applications
* Four instructions to enable more efficient handling of arrays of structures. This is useful in 3D graphics, particularly when processing vertex buffers.
* Two instructions that help manage thread synchronization, which will in turn improve Hyper-Threading performance.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

MikeRP

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004
So how do you tell which core you got?

I bought a Dell recently and I'm interested!

Also, how do you tell if you have the EM64T instuction turned on?

Thanks

Mike

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Um. hm.

Why on earth would anyone want a prescott?
its a furnace and doesnt go faster. (1-2% seems to be its gain)
I mean. If you are prepared to manage that sort of heat, then you could just get a regular HT chip and pump it higher for the same heat value.
???????

RichPLS

Champion
Go to
http://www.cpuid.com/
and download PCWizard, it is freeware.
Go to processor details and it will be listed.
Lot of other detail specs about your system included.
Great utility.

========================
Try everything...

RichPLS

Champion
Stability, solid fast performance and overhead if you want to o/c.
The Prescott runs hotter than Northy, yes, but the strained silycon handles the heat much better, and allows for more top end megahertz.
I have no problems with heat in my system, or noise.

========================
Try everything...

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
then you must not be using the stcok cooler, or you dont care taht much about noise. also, remember that althougha cpu maybe able to handle the extra heat, the componenets aorund might not, effecting overall durability.

prescotts now are still a hard buy, and evne ahrder when choosing lg755, but eventaully they will get better.

RichPLS

Champion
No stock cooler, using the Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro. Had it from machine I upgraded. $40. Varible speed fan, runs at around 2500 rpm.

========================
Try everything...

endyen

Splendid
The difference between CO and DO stepping is that with DO, it takes a few seconds longer for the chip to throttle while HT is in use. If your prescott is running cool, it's probably throttled.
SSE3 is a collection of patches for SSE2 and HT, to fix problems that are almost never seen. Net gain .00001% Hurray!

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
The gain might be marginal 1-7% but there is still a small benefit.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

endyen

Splendid
Ah yes, that 1 to 7%. Actually what they said was that in certain programs , the gain could be as much as 1 to 7%. The reality is, that the greatest part of that comes in smp enabled progs. It seems that in some situations, the logical chip will extend a wait state, to the vertual chip, causing the other prog to stop momentarily. Most of the time, the loss is minimal, and not too many people ( aside from enthusiasts) run SMP progs on P4s anyhow.