p4 2.8A ghz overheating

dlin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
After 2 post test and checking my temp in my bios menu, it says that my chip has heated up to 120-130F. I have taken the heatsink fan off and the gray strip on the bottom seems to have melted a little, isnt this the hsf/cpu bonding stuff? Anyways what should I do to cool it down and not destroy it? I am already running 4x80mm fans in the case.

endyen

Splendid
130f is ,55c. This is not terrible.
Yes, that grey stuff is a thermal pad. Sounds like it has not been heated enough to make a good bond, but should be fine with a little more use.
If you like, you can use some rubbing alcohol to clean it off, and use some artic silver instead. If you do use the AS, go to thier website, and watch the film they have on using the stuff.

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
heck no.
and you need to get some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a q-tip and go clean off those surfaces. once you pull that thing off, you cannot put it back on wihout redoing all your thermal paste things.

Arctic Silver 5 is the best all around, tried and true, and cheap, suggestion. A proper, severe cleaning of both surfaces along with a clean application of a the AS5 will make you shed off a few points of centigrade, I would assume.

By the way:
Is this heatsink the circle array one or the fanned out one? if fanned out one, get a 120 mm fan to hover over it. If its a circle array, I would say that your setup of 2.8 should be cold, not hot. maybe if you were running prescott but it doesnt appear you are.

somethings wrong with the thermal stuff and cleaning.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by el_jefe_77 on 09/14/04 01:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Since you have already bought it, use it. Your chip will be far less likely to freeze, and it should be quieter as well. They may be overkill, but zalman fans are worthwhile.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That Stuf you found is that cheap thermal compound, normally of poor quality. Just remove all that from your HSF and CPU and apply some Artic Silver 5. That alone should shave about 5c from your temps.

Also you may have alot a fans in that case but if the irrigation is not done right then you are recirculating the heat from your hardware back in the case, thus creating a hotpocket. Make sure you have proper irrigation to bother put in the cool air and most importantly remove that hot air out.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

dlin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
i forgot about this thread, i started a new thread, (sorry) but its the same topic. I can't get the thermal stain off.

The middle of my p4 chip is a little shinier now I hope i didnt mess it up

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
"Make sure you have proper irrigation..."

I'm not trying to make fun, but this made me laugh this morning. New case mod - SPRINKLERS!

:-D

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D