Can I set the input priority on a Dell 2421L monitor?

stevetcook

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I have a PC with a dual monitor setup, with both monitors connected to the PC via DVI cables. I also have a PS3 connected to one monitor using an HDMI cable.

Right now, when I turn the PS3 on, I change the input manually to the HDMI input to show the PS3. If I have both the computer and the PS3 on at the same time, and I have the monitor auto-select which input to use, it always selects the DVI input (my PC).

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to alter the input priority of this monitor so that it displays HDMI before DVI. I've searched the monitor's menus for this without any luck. Does anyone know if there's either a service menu for the monitor that would allow me to change this, or if there's any kind of program I can use to alter this?

P.S. I did think of one sort of solution for this: I could connect my computer to the monitor via HDMI cable, then buy a cheap HDMI to DVI converter off of ebay to connect the PS3 to the DVI input. Then, the PS3 would have input priority. However, I don't like the way the computer handles the HDMI connection during startup, so I'd like to find another solution if possible.

Thank you for your help.

stevetcook

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I can, and I do, for now; but I'm a little anal about always trying to solve little issues with my setup like this. It would be nicer if I could just set the input priority to favor the PS3 when it's on and revert back to the computer when the PS3 is off. I'm not dissatisfied with things how they are, but I personally enjoy always trying to make things a little bit better, and learning new tips and tricks along the way. Blame it on my inner engineer :)

If you turn on the PS3 first and get a picture on the monitor then when you turn on the computer does the monitor switch to the computer display?
What is it about the start up that you don't like with the way the computer handles the HDMI port , it seems like that would be your solution.

stevetcook

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Actually, you've brought up a good point. If 2 inputs are active (both devices turned on), the monitor stays with the one that was on first. I thought it had an actual priority queue that favored the DVI input over the HDMI. I assume that means that it won't be possible to set a priority order.

When connected to a monitor via HDMI, the monitor doesn't sleep when the computer does. The computer also can't use the monitor until windows has booted.

Assuming that the priority queue idea is debunked, I suppose the only option left would be to find an external input selector which had both HDMI and DVI inputs, and an HDMI or DVI output, which also allowed for input priority customization. Pretty far-fetched there, and probably expensive according to my initial Googling. It'd be major overkill, too. I was basically hoping for someone to tell me a service menu exists :)

Thanks for your help inzone :)

When connected to a monitor via HDMI, the monitor doesn't sleep when the computer does. The computer also can't use the monitor until windows has booted.

Are you sure about that ? I have connected by HDMI and the monitor showed the whole boot process including going into the bios. Now the computer not using the monitor when connected by HDMI sounds like a setting or something specific with that monitor or video card, I've never seen that.
As far as sleep goes I don't use that function so I can't speak to that but it also sounds odd to me.