Intel says DISABLE HT

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
In a <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18414" target="_new">news</A> article intel recommends "All operating systems apart from Windows XP, according to Intel, should have hyperthreading disabled. Those include Windows 2K, Win NT 4.0, Win ME, Win 98 and Windows SE."

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/14/04 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
<A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-012741.htm" target="_new">http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-012741.htm</A>

No reason offered. I'm going to be cynical conspiracy theorist here and say the reason is: Microsoft has delayed 64 bit windows for Intel, so now Intel is trying to create a perceived need for an OS upgrade?

Pure fun speculation here...
edit - I should add the implication on their site is that those OSs don't support hyperthreading. Is that really true? I thought 2000 did.

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by raretech on 09/14/04 01:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
The fact that HT is best supported in XP than all other of MS OSes is already very, very old news.

The inquirer published it as something new, but it's not.

Why are you all so surprised?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Well, it is (was) known that XP was based on 2000 core. Hence 2000 should have equal HT support as XP. But as they reported, its not the case.

And it might be old news, but its said by intel now to disable it rather than saying anything but xp has bad support.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh jesus they are soo stupid...

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Absolutely, Xeon.

I can't understand why everybody is making such a fuss about that ridiculously misinformed theinq article.

This is very, very old news. Only XP actually knows how to deal with HT. This is microsoft's fault, not Intel's.

Oh, and if XP is just a revamped 2000, then I'd argue that the 2000 is just a revamped Windows NT 5.0, which is also a revamped NT 4.0. You know what this means????? NOTHING! (Why are we all using XP instead of WinNT then?)

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
sure. Billy Gates is always at fault :wink:

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
you're a moron. i've known this for over a year. xp or linux is the only o/s optimized to work right with h/t. it doesn't work at all in win9x and windows 2k thinks its actually 2 cpu's so it can take a performance hit.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Geeze guys... I wouldn't call it stupid on my part, so much as ignorance. I'm not a 'doze guy so I didn't know. So does Windows server 2003 support it?

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
windows 2k thinks its actually 2 cpu's so it can take a performance hit
u are a moron*2, wtf do u think HT does ? See ur fuc***** system info in XP...and if u see just 1 cpu, ur HT is off. XP/2000 both have to show 2 CPUs. And so does LINUX. why the hell do u think in GRUB u gotta choose SMP option. That means symmetric multiprocessor. SMP is only possible when there are more than 1 CPU - physical or logical.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I never mentioned anything abt working of HT ???? except reply to the other dude.

I just said, there an article which tells disable HT. thats it.

<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/14/04 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Linux kernels higher than 2.4.17 support it, although I've read briefly suggestions that it is more effective in the 2.6 series. I don't know what the deal is with Windows, I'll let one of the real ultra geeks(TM) cover that.

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
better kwown as uber-geeks.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
damn :mad: , lemme get that linux up and runnin ! ....on second thoughts fuc* linux, lemme get that bsd running :cool: <- wrong smiley eh ?. goodbye HL2, goodbye D3, goodbye ALL GAMES :frown:

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Hey I'm just being a smartass, since "ultra-geeks" supposedly would know about windows issues. :) I honestly have nothing against that virus known as windows.

It's not good bye all games under Linux though... D3 will be out soon and if you own the windows version, you can run it under linux now. America's army is out for linux, Unreal tourney 2004 is out for Linux. Personally, I only ever fireup neverball and foobilliards myself. Thought I should say something. The game situation is slowly changing under Linux.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
This is really old news but its good to keep those on their toes.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

TechMan

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Never knew about this and just realized how stupid I was. I recommended a P4 2.8C as our office server expecting that HT would somehow contribute to the efficiency. It's running on Win2000 Server. Only to know later that I should disable HT on that machine?

Should have gone for an AMD64 3000+ which we use in our workstations.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, d00d, we already knew this years ago when the 3.06 was still pre-realease. 9x doesn't even support dual processors, so of course it can't support 2 logical processors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think MS cares, they have XP and 2003 to push right now.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>