AMD Outsells Intel in Retail Desktops

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20040913050508.html" target="_new">Click</A>

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm sure heads are rolling at Intel today. Their CEO is already pissed about the numerous rollout miscues. So much so that he publically read the company the "riot act" a few months ago. This is not gonna help morale over there.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Thats only for the week ending Aug 21st. More <A HREF="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/13/2241256&tid=142&tid=118&tid=1" target="_new">here</A>. Intel still leads and has overall market share.

"For the week ending August 21st AMD managed to capture 54% market share among new desktops sold. Intel's share during the week was 45%. While Intel leads the U.S. CPU market with 82.7% market share, folks from AMD are proud to announce this is the second week this year - they also outsold Intel on the desktop market one time in April 2004."

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/14/04 09:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
retail desktop market share. Intel still leads overall market share by 82%. However, AMD has come a long way since the K6 processor. This is only the beginning. Soon more Opterons servers will be made, AMD will increase server market share size, and with the introduction of Dual cores, I foresee only positive growth from this, especially when Microsoft releases Windows xp 64-bit edition officially.

Only Laptop market share, and Dell selling AMD systems, are AMD's last obstacle. Intel owns majority of Laptop sales. Dell is the last large computer manufacturer to exclude AMD processors from their line-up.

------
A64 3400+ Newcastle
1GB PC 4000 Kingston HyperX
Asus K8V basic Bios 1004
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
70,261 Aquamarks

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
"The numbers only reflect desktop computers sold to customers via retail outlets: the figures do not indicate desktop sales to corporate customers, notebook computers as well as servers or workstations."

Wow and I wasted my time looking for that too...

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
or you could have clicked the clicky above and found the same and saved time :tongue:

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Wow. I sell computers and hm, it is true that 50/50 sales are split between amd and intel this end of summer.

BTW: the sales of august going into first week in september for computer sales is a massive spike in the retail industry. the only real reason people buy a new computer for their family is for their whining little skank annoying children who NEED a faster comp for school. So, that being said, if AMD pushed out ahead of intel during this time period, it crushed intel by a landslide for the first time that I have been reading.
Notebook sales are still in INtels favor as there does not exist a centrino version for AMD. that being said, really, there isnt a viable option for a serious business or college user besides centrino. You need the huge battery life and small/lightweightness of the centrino vs an oven with a screen.

If amd makes a centrino type, it could ruin intel. Remember, intel losing a % of sales destroys current expected sales volume, people are counting on this corporately and investment wise, amd has nothing to lose not gaining any ground as much as intel does in losing some at all.

They should have not lied about the tualatin and released better/cooler procs such as them is my odd viewpoint about one of the countless underlying factors to stagnation.

I should also note and add:
The major reason for people buying AMD is a damning one. Every salesman that gets the request for:
I WANT A PENTIUM FOUR, WHERE ARE THOSE?
and then the annoying customer finds out that they are above fiddy-cents then asks: GEE THATS A BIT! THATS JUST FOR THE TOWER THING!?? WHAT ABOUT A PACKAGE DEAL GIMEE SOMETHING WITH IT!!
and im like, um. No. you dont get anything else. So i sell them an athlonXP system with 512 ram and 160 gig hd.
Athlon uses more nvidia on board chips, intel uses random intel chips. It is also easier to sell the amd's with on board video on account of the fact that its a name brand, decent company versus some whatever from intel's labs (regardless of actual performance differences)

a64's are hard to sell at first glance. After talking about them, a salesman who is good will discuss how long into the future do they expect to use the machine. When people say, I hope it lasts at least 3 years, I say, well the new OS wont work with intel's 520 or 540 chip. and then they buy the a64's. I run the number one computer/camera's sales deptarment out of 680 Circuit city stores, and we always clean out of a64's before the 520's by a long shot. Xp's come in fast and go out just as fast, Celeron sales are diminishing, who the hell wants a chip from the 90's?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by el_jefe_77 on 09/14/04 01:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
ive seen similar trend in my computer sales. right now its about 65/35 amd/intel, mostly becuase i get alot of gamers buying my systems, so that will undoubtedly favor amd.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Trooper rhymes with pooper my guess is as good as yours.

Xeon

<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
another outselling article. Suprisingly articles are popping up one after the other !

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18445" target="_new">AMD Opteron outsold Intel Itanium by 10X</A>

No gaurantees that figures are correct.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I think the C3 outsold itanium this year... or should I say, is there a modern chip from a non-intel vendor that didn't outsell Itanium this year?

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Id tell you, AMD is gobbling up that big chunk of market share from Intel and it wont be long for them to take over.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD does make something like the "Centrino type", the Athlon XP is similar to the Pentium-M. All they really need to do is come up with a low-voltage A64 to break into that market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
As far as chips go, the 35 watt xp-m 2400+ could go head to head against any of the PM chips. Just try to find a laptop maker that would go up against the big Intel machine though.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
another outselling article. Suprisingly articles are popping up one after the other !

AMD Opteron outsold Intel Itanium by 10X
lol, that's like saying Ford outselling ferraris. Itanium is a high end workstation platform, and it wasn't targeted for mainstream or desktop level, while almost anyone can go out and buy an Opteron server. who ever wrote that article should have known this. at any rate, Intel has enough money and resource to weather the storm. They can afford to take a break. anyways, it would be 20x if Dell used opteron servers.

------
A64 3400+ Newcastle
1GB PC 4000 Kingston HyperX
Asus K8V basic Bios 1004
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
70,261 Aquamarks

endyen

Splendid
Maybe he was using a little sarcasm. I dont mean to offend. You have had the Amd fanboys on your case for a long time. Now that you have actually tried Amd, the Intel fanboys get in your face. Try to remember, it's not about sides, it's about value/performance. Enjoy your system, and dont let us jealous peons rain on your parade.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought the M's were putting out like 17W? Maybe that was the slow ULV ones...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
u r right, i was being sarcastic there, abt the articles popping up issue.

<A HREF="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2004/tc20040914_3773_tc057.htm" target="_new">Heres</A> another poppup.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh ya forgot that testing software is for stupids... stupid MS.

Xeon

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
So you think that Microsoft isn't really having just design/coding problems? So the fact that they dropped the database file system from Longhorn to be able to make their deadline isn't a good indicator that this isn't an Intel strongarm tactic and is actually just poor Microsoft execution? Hmm...

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
atleast they are trying to meet their deadline, dropping WinFS will get longhorn out a bit earlier than it would had they implemented it. Unlike some bitch ass firms(valve), who create virtual deadlines.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, but with HL2 (assumed what you're hinting at), you wouldn't want any of that dropped to make the deadline, right? "So...we'll release multiplayer in a patch..."

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
oh yeah definitely, i ll pick up the crowbar if they do that !