For AMD users....

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2004 3:13:22 PM

My current config

P4 3.2E
2GB DDR400 (Kingston value RAM)
X800XT
Lots of HDDs, 2 in SATA RAID 0

What all changes (apart from processor, mobo, lighter wallet, consumed time/energy) will I require to switch to a more powerful AMD system. And what combo of mobo+processor u recommend. I will use the comp for gaming and all ususal stuff. I am a sucker for tech.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/14/04 10:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : amd users

September 14, 2004 3:53:16 PM

um don't do [-peep-] to that machine
September 14, 2004 4:27:13 PM

That looks like a great gaming rig.
You won't get much better with anything else.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
Related resources
September 14, 2004 4:37:34 PM

Why would you want to change anything in that rig? It's downright perfect.

You won't get any noticeable performance gains from changing CPUs. A 3.2Ghz is quite enough for anything you might want to do today.

So why bother? Like you said, you'd need to change processor, mobo, and you'd have to look for everything. You might want to sell your old parts as well. Is this worth your time? NO, OBVIOUSLY NOT! You'd be no better than Kanavit - the guy who changed from 2.8C to 3.0E, to 3.2E and then to A64 3400+. What is the point? All that trouble for a few percentage points in benchmarks? It won't matter. Save up some more, and then go for a dual-core (from AMD, if that is important to you - or from anyone who's got the best product) next year. And a revamped, fully-featured mobo.
September 14, 2004 4:38:37 PM

Catchphrase: If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
September 14, 2004 6:10:27 PM

that's a pimp rig for intel peeps.

you could go faster but eh, wait for dual core amd next summer. your system wont be taxed for over a year anyways no matter what comes out.
September 14, 2004 7:25:23 PM

That's a "pimp rig" for anyone with their head screwed on right.

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>
September 14, 2004 7:37:12 PM

Dude, you got a few years to wait until you need to change anything. (PS-I am currently looking for spare parts, PM me if you're getting rid of the old stuff). Intels have a better straight clock speed and you'll get more "impressive" oc results (though not more effective).

"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."
September 14, 2004 9:15:02 PM

I knew 99% dudes will say that. :wink:
I wasnt even planning on doing so.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>
September 14, 2004 10:02:17 PM

You damn troll. :smile:

<i>Forget AMD and Intel, those are for fanboy lusers. The C3 is where it's at. Via Rulez!</i>
September 14, 2004 10:16:25 PM

Wow, that's mean, he was testing us. :smile:
September 14, 2004 10:38:33 PM

actually, i had that plan in mind but it was yesterday for abt 5 min. I got all the details on the irc i needed. Infact i dont need anything but a proc+mobo replacement.
But then i dropped the idea, and wanted to see the response on the forum, so i posted it today. :wink:

It will be a nice psyc evaluation of all the geeks here, who never answer what exactly is asked. All start telling what to do and what not :lol:  . Dont worry i m like that to. But then if someone wants to burn his money why the hell shld we care.

If u notice no one actually answered what I asked !!

September 14, 2004 10:45:37 PM

Post deleted by priyajeet
September 14, 2004 10:47:12 PM

Holy Sh1T! You sick, rich b*st*rd!
September 14, 2004 10:51:31 PM

not rich...hard working...took more than an yr to come up money...did small upgrades at a time...

by the way forgot to mention the wireless keyboard and mouse, the ipod, and my fav...the biometrics reader...dont have to remember any passwords...sys works on fingerprints.

<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/14/04 05:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 14, 2004 10:54:26 PM

Those upgrades are not small, and components are not old.
Looks like lots of upgrades in a short time.
You have a great system, enjoy it...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
September 14, 2004 10:57:22 PM

nah, only bought the graphics+raptors in the last 5 months...anycase i m removing the post above, dont feel good abt it.

September 14, 2004 11:00:57 PM

back to the AMD question.

I am trying to coax my bosses into gettin an AMD, just to play around with it (play in the sense like lab testing).

I knoe FXs are overpriced. What Athlon 64 would u recommend. Considering these guys wont get another sys for a long time, so this time we shld get a pretty uptodate computer, i mean fast etc.

September 14, 2004 11:02:46 PM

Oh, is that serious now?

A64? I'd recommend a s939 one like 3500+ or 3800+. They both have dual-channel ODMCs... should be great systems. And you could also play with the 64-bit extensions under linux.
September 14, 2004 11:08:52 PM

yes, not my money anymore !

September 15, 2004 12:36:54 AM

depending on what type of testing your talking about, perhaps you could convince them to invest in an opteron system, perhaps just getting 1 opteron at first, then adding on later.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 1:39:41 AM

That stuff is too expensive. You should sell the entire system to some sucker for full price and build a new one with a cheap nForce2 board and a Mobile XP2500+ overclocked at 2.4GHz.

What's weak on your system? The RAM! That CPU should do at least 3.6GHz, possibly 4.0GHz, you need better RAM for overclocking!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 15, 2004 2:14:42 AM

The FXs are overpriced but they are still equal priced or cheaper than the equivilent P4s. If it isn't your money just go for an FX 53 :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
September 15, 2004 2:32:54 AM

If it's not too rude, I would like to ask, how many of the original posters actually fit the criterion set out by the tittle? You sure got some great rants, from flaming Intel fanboys. Nice Trolling.
Realisticly, if you want to talk your boss into an Amd system, stay away from the higher end. A nice socket 754 board, with nforce3 250 chipset, and maybe as high as an A64 3400 would be good.
September 15, 2004 3:27:37 AM

Is that an extreme edition p4, i would sell it on ebay and pick up a s939 a64 newcastle. and pocket the change

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
September 15, 2004 4:05:40 AM

what r u referring to ? my 3.2 sys ? I posted in between abt building a sys for my work. Not doing anything with my sys...stays as is.

September 15, 2004 4:13:40 AM

thats not a bad idea, our server there is also gettin hogged up. Would love to put AMD sys for our main building server, but the problem with work place is that they only BUY from DELL (we have a site license/contract, being a university) and dell doesnt do AMD.
But still opteron wont be a bad idea for something like a personal server for just our office rather than the main building server. As it is I am using a local comp there as a server for my movies (they dont know)

September 15, 2004 4:43:16 AM

well, best out would be a dual opteron with 2 gigs of memory. Each then would have its own bank of 1 gig memory to use.

That's kinky in my opionion, pure kink. Dual xeon is nice too, but dual opteron is more hardcore freakshow.

Throw 64 bit windows on that, i wonder how it'd go.
September 15, 2004 6:36:39 AM

yeah its unfortunate how dell likes to snub amd prodcuts, but its hard to put all the blame on them, they do get alot of incitives from intel to keep it that way.

but yeah if you can work out getting an opteron system, it would last youa while for sure, down the road you can even upgrade to dual core, so you can think of it as a long term investment.
September 15, 2004 7:54:49 AM

What is the point of this thread?

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
September 15, 2004 2:50:01 PM

Not sure hey what should I do with my D1 stepping 3.0 @ 4.0 water cooled well I lied 4.05?<= oops 4500ghz lol.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Xeon on 09/15/04 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 15, 2004 2:58:49 PM

What are you going to be doing with this machine? Server? CAD station? Video editing? General office work? Database?
September 15, 2004 3:01:04 PM

nah, i think hes making an oven out of it for roasting chickens

September 15, 2004 3:38:11 PM

Doom 3 baby *wipes chin*.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
!