Stupid Sys1 Pop Bumper problem

I've got a stupid pop bumper issue with a Gottlieb "Charlie's Angels"
that is bedeviling me, and I'm wondering if anybody here has good
ideas..

Here's the background and problem:

The pin that is attached to the saucer sits in a little cup on the
switch stack. Sometimes, the saucer gets tipped far enough that the pin
pops out of the cup and does not go back in. The other one on the same
machine works fine - it goes sideways, it slides back in okay.

I think it's some combination of alignment, up tension on the cup, and
lubrication to allow the pin to slide back into the cup freely.

So, what's the solution here? I've messed with alignment a lot - I
don't think that's it. It's centered as far as I can tell. I've got a
fair amount of up tension - should this be tight or kind of loose?

The one thing I havened tried is a little grease/oil in the cup and on
the end of the pin. Think that'll help?

Thanks in advance..

-Mark.

Hi Mark, Lubrication might be the downfall there. I'm sure their
suppose to run dry. Should have some up tension.

zTim

>I think it's some combination of alignment,
>up tension on the cup, and lubrication to
>allow the pin to slide back into the cup
>freely.

GTB pops were like this for some time. You need to make sure the cup is
not bent up or down, have a proper gap in the switch and damper wipe,
and center the plastic in the cup.

The centering is often the downfall. You have to make sure the wafer
plastic is exactly in the center of the cup with very litte pressure on
the cup itself. The cup should just be hardly making contact so that
when the ball hits the wafer at any angle the plastic moves exactly the
same distance.

Seems simple, but sometimes can be a bear to set up correctly. Clean
all that lube and junk out of there. You don't need it.

Kirb

If the spoon is wore out it will do this. www.pinballlife.com has them
for like 50 cents each :)

Thanks for the tips, all.. looks like it's just a matter of tweaking it
until it's right. The big variable was the up tension (or not) - I'll
try it again with very light tension, and I'll check the alignment /
tightness of the body.

Thanks,
-Mark.

In article <1125329843.530704.246330@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
kirbseepe@yahoo.com says...
> >I think it's some combination of alignment,
> >up tension on the cup, and lubrication to
> >allow the pin to slide back into the cup
> >freely.
>
> GTB pops were like this for some time. You need to make sure the cup is
> not bent up or down, have a proper gap in the switch and damper wipe,
> and center the plastic in the cup.
>
> The centering is often the downfall. You have to make sure the wafer
> plastic is exactly in the center of the cup with very litte pressure on
> the cup itself. The cup should just be hardly making contact so that
> when the ball hits the wafer at any angle the plastic moves exactly the
> same distance.
>
> Seems simple, but sometimes can be a bear to set up correctly. Clean
> all that lube and junk out of there. You don't need it.
>
> Kirb

Mark:

If the pop bumper body is loose, the skirt will be able to move
more than it should. Check that the smaller piece at the bottom of
the pop bumper is aligned properly, and that the two screws that hold
the pop bumper body to the playfield are tight.

I put a VERY LIGHT schmeer of teflon lube on the pop bumper "spoons".
but lube shouldn't be related to your problem.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/