The humor of company benchmarks ("Marketing Lies")

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I found this kind of funny (and feel free to find some Intel glaring errors).

I was checking out the Sempron benchmarks (especially the configuration) on AMD's website and found this:

Celeron:
Video Card
Graphics Adapter: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Memory Size (MB) and Type: 16MB

Sempron 2800+:
Video Card
Graphics Adapter: Onboard UMA Geforce4 MX Integrated GPU
Memory Size (MB) and Type: 64MB

Sempron 3100+:
Video Card
Graphics Adapter: Radeon 9600
Memory Size (MB) and Type: 128M DDR

Anyone else find that funny? Besides the fact that the different video cards make the systems somewhat uncomparable performance wise, when doing tests for really the value chip line, it's interesting that the 3100+ system is paired with an additional video card cost.

Ok, time to find Intel's lies...

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
That is a blatant lie. It's ridiculous.

But then again, Apple always says they're the ones with the fastest computers!

Intel also put some benchmarks up on EM64T and it compares xeons with it disabled and 4GB system memory to xeons with it enabled and 8GB system memory...

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think it is completely unfair to make a comparison between a Sempron with onboard nVidia graphics and a Celeron with onboard Intel graphics, simply because those are the two platforms that people with those chips will likely have. I think it is completeley fair to compare entire platforms that are similar in cost and reflect real-world situations that customers will have to choose from.

I guess it might have been more fair to include ATI's integrated graphics chipset for the Celeron though. But, that's marketing for you.

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

I don't think that's what they were referring to. What was being referred to is the fact that the Sempron 3100+ system has a Radeon 9600 video card in it, rather than onboard graphics like the other two systems.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Its like each subject is its own class. I think even a complete moron will figure that out.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A certain forum member says no, points to validation benchmarks based on unmatched systems to prove the XP rating system has always scalled quantitatively rather than being based on opinion.

OF COURSE AMD matches the platform to the processor to get exactly the numbers they're looking for, that doesn't mean the processors underperform, it's just that they're trying to proove the numbers scale properly. We've already seen enough accurate comparisons to know AMD makes great processors, this is just marketing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I liked the Bullet Train ad. Sure it was over the top, but that's what gets people's attention! Too bad I've only ever seen it once.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When I said I've only seen it once, I meant I'd only seen it one time as advertising, I did download it a couple years later so I know someone has it.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I find funny is how all manufacturers scale their bar graphs to show their products better, like:

Intel: ----------------- 100%
AMD: -------------------------------------104%

Wow, looks twice as fast!!!!!

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's even an automatic function of Excel! I just did some graphs for a hard drive review, one had like 101MB/s peak output, the other had like 104MB/s, Excel started the graph at like 70 and went to like 110. Because this is for a review, I set the starting point at 0 so it would show a realistic comparison.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Yeah, well, it's rewarding to pay attention to your axes...

After all, you could put two scores of like 15050 and 15075 in a graph from 15000 to 15100, and one would look 50% faster, while in fact it's more like 0.17% faster... :smile: