Playfield Insert - how to repair

I was replacing some cracked decals on my AFM. Got the old decal off
with no problem. Under that, the insert is both crackes and peeling. I
have four bad inserts, two Jackpost, and two of the big or beam. When I
probed what looked like an area where the insert was coming apart, it
looked like the plastic of the insert itself is cracked, and starting to
lift up.

Can this be fixed or repaired, or should I just decal over it?

Thanks, Mike

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

math08 wrote:
> I was replacing some cracked decals on my AFM. Got the old decal off
> with no problem. Under that, the insert is both crackes and peeling. I
> have four bad inserts, two Jackpost, and two of the big or beam. When I
> probed what looked like an area where the insert was coming apart, it
> looked like the plastic of the insert itself is cracked, and starting to
> lift up.
>
> Can this be fixed or repaired, or should I just decal over it?
>
> Thanks, Mike
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

I've sanded the old decals off with 2000 grit sand paper and put on a
new decals and all is well. Haven't ever had any problems since.

John

I'm not sure about the repair job, I've got to face it my self on H@S.
In my case I know the orange arrow inserts need replacing. I saw a
thread recently about some dude making his own machine and that PBR
sell inserts so I'm using some of these to fix my machine.

Ping

math08 wrote:
> I was replacing some cracked decals on my AFM. Got the old decal off
> with no problem. Under that, the insert is both crackes and peeling. I
> have four bad inserts, two Jackpost, and two of the big or beam. When I
> probed what looked like an area where the insert was coming apart, it
> looked like the plastic of the insert itself is cracked, and starting to
> lift up.
>
> Can this be fixed or repaired, or should I just decal over it?
>
> Thanks, Mike
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Just to clarify the issue: There are
no decals used on original playfield
inserts. The 'artwork ' is screened
directly onto the insert/playfield itself.

The replacements you are installing are
of course, decals.

--
Fred
TX

"math08" <mathisen08@msn.com> wrote in message news:ZzFQe.10$SH1.3038@news.uswest.net...
> I was replacing some cracked decals on my AFM. Got the old decal off
> with no problem. Under that, the insert is both crackes and peeling. I
> have four bad inserts, two Jackpost, and two of the big or beam. When I
> probed what looked like an area where the insert was coming apart, it
> looked like the plastic of the insert itself is cracked, and starting to
> lift up.
>
> Can this be fixed or repaired, or should I just decal over it?
>
> Thanks, Mike
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

We show how to repair insert type on TOP#4 using decals.
You should check it out.
http://marvin3m.com/top

math08 wrote:
> I was replacing some cracked decals on my AFM. Got the old decal off
> with no problem. Under that, the insert is both crackes and peeling. I
> have four bad inserts, two Jackpost, and two of the big or beam. When I
> probed what looked like an area where the insert was coming apart, it
> looked like the plastic of the insert itself is cracked, and starting to
> lift up.
>
> Can this be fixed or repaired, or should I just decal over it?
>
> Thanks, Mike
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Maybe this game has been decaled prior to my getting it. The current
playfield has the round wording over playfield resessed lights shining
up through clear red, yellow or amber plastic. I tool an exacto knife
to the edge (there was a very distinct edge), and up came a clear, very
thin piece of brittle clear plastic with the wording on it. Left behind
is the colored plastic insert, with no wording on it.

This insert (remaining plastic) seem on a couple of the spots to have
seperated in a layer on top (when I cleaned with alcohol I could see the
alcohol wick under the spot where the plastic was seemingly coming
apart. I thought that this was another layer of adhesive, but it only
comes up where it already has become layered off, leaving a sharp edge
and an indent of 1/32?

I did not know if I should try to shave this layer off, use a thin coat
of acrylic to seal is prior to putting the decals on. I also didn't
know if I could just replace the colored plastic insert from below.

Mike

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

The thin plastic looking stuff that comes up is clearcoat.

Clearcoat like to seperate from inserts due to heatring.

Sttng seems to be prone to this. Don't know about Afm.

If you use decals for the insert lettering, don't build up on top of the
decal with super glue--It'll eat the decal and you'll have a cloudy mess
that has to be redone.

Either heat up the insert and move it close to flush or build it up some
before you lay the decals down or put the decal down and build up with
clear.

Otto

CARGPB11