Can I use mean green to clean EM switches?

devon

Tried 1 and it cleaned up great - contacts are totally clean (didn't
submerge the base just the tip). Will this be a problem ? What about a
switch which has a plastic spacer like this one: (switch below the copper
wheel). Would it somehow eat away at the plastic ? Googled, but nothing came
up using this method.

www.pacificnet.net/~dirwin/pinball/swinger/switch.jpg

Thanks

Devon

huh?! Don't use any liquid on switches. Use a contact file.

are you sure you didn't clean off the good residue (silver oxide???)
helps the switches run better.

It might or might not, but come on, using a liquid cleaner on switches
is a terrible idea. It's hard enough getting a game running without
introducing moisture into the mix. Liquid also will not file down
pitting, which of course makes for a worse contact.

This really is a waste of time to discuss. People have been cleaning
switches the RIGHT way, with a file, forever. This isn't as bad as
contact cleaner, but it's definetly in the same "bad idea" zone.

Mike wrote:
> dont you think a file would clean off the good stuff
> too...........................
>

> <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> > are you sure you didn't clean off the good residue (silver oxide???)
> > helps the switches run better.

If you use a liquid cleaner and get it where it does not belong your
screwed. if you want to use a cleaner try using alcohol and a q-tip.
i'll do that when i get a bad, real dirty inside of a machine, but
mostly I use a good file only

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.
68 Williams Student Prince

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

>when using a file, only a pinpoint of silver was showing

That is perfect because that is the only parts that matter (the ones
that touch)

Kirb

As long as you don't wet the bakelite and you remove any residue of the
mean green with alcohol I don't see how you would end up with any
trouble..you may be cleaning just to clean though if you don't use
something a little more aggresive to clean off stuck on crud on the
contact....

Many years ago I worked in a Xerox refurb facility. We used to first
clean the copiers with Zep to remove all the toner. Zep is sort of
Mean Green like. We then rinsed them with water and blew out as much
water as we could with high pressure water. Air dry for a day and then
fire it up. We never removed any switches or wiring. It worked great.
Machines looked very clean afterwords.
Not sure if I would do this or not but have always thought that you
could using a similar process. Just another thought for everyone to
ponder.

Kitch

devon wrote:
> "Newpinguy" <sethmundy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > As long as you don't wet the bakelite and you remove any residue of the
> > mean green with alcohol I don't see how you would end up with any
> > trouble..you may be cleaning just to clean though if you don't use
> > something a little more aggresive to clean off stuck on crud on the
> > contact....
> >

> no I didn't get the bakekite wet, just stood it with the tip in a baby jar
> partially filled with mean green, left for 5 min, then cleaned with rubbing
> alcohol.
>
> I was just trying to troubleshoot my first EM problem, and I wanted to rule
> out the contacts. OK file it is from now on. Thanks all for the information.
>
> devon

LOL, Yep, I'll just take my 68 Student Prince outside right now and
give it a good hose down.
make the playfield really something?

(i am only joking)

"ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
> huh?! Don't use any liquid on switches. Use a contact file.

Ok - but tried on 1 and it cleaned all the crud off real nice.

This is your first EM project right?
PLEASE please please, get yourself "This Old Pinball" TOP#1 for
$8 and watch it. You're really scaring me with the Mean Green.
It's not for cleaning switches!
http://marvin3m.com/top

devon wrote:
> Tried 1 and it cleaned up great - contacts are totally clean (didn't
> submerge the base just the tip). Will this be a problem ? What about a
> switch which has a plastic spacer like this one: (switch below the copper
> wheel). Would it somehow eat away at the plastic ? Googled, but nothing came
> up using this method.
>
> www.pacificnet.net/~dirwin/pinball/swinger/switch.jpg
>
> Thanks
>
> Devon

MikeO

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2004

I'm going to stick my neck out here, even after all this commentary.
Using something to do a general cleaning is fine as long as it is
compatible with what you are cleaning. You will still need to run a
file through the contacts to make a difference.

I bring this up as I know a very reputable woodrail collector and the
first thing he does when he gets a game is to spray the mechanical
portions down with brake cleaner to remove all the 50 year old gunk. I
have not seen this in person but am sure he is judicious with what
actually gets sprayed. I suspect compressed air is the next step to
help evaporate any leftover brake cleaner followed by a total shop out.

Back to the issue at hand. I would clean if it was easy enough with
damaging anything because I like the looks of a clean game, inside
included. But a file will get you what you need.

Mike O.

Mike

Splendid

dont you think a file would clean off the good stuff
too...........................

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> are you sure you didn't clean off the good residue (silver oxide???)
> helps the switches run better.

martin

I have been using a couple of products lately - Johnson Wax Cleaner and
Degreaser, from Lowes, and Greased Lightning, from Home Depot. Greased
Lightning is foams, the degreaser does not.

Both chase off accumulated dirt and grease with ease. There are a few
things around the house that nothing else would clean. I have used them
on wiring harnesses, I feel that they are less intrusive than the
dishwasher - and more effective. For a well-oiled game (this does
happen), they may be the best solution.

For an EM, I see no problem with using them anywhere on the electrics,
but with two caveats:

1) You want to get all of the detergent residue off. Means a big water
rinse.
2) Water on bare wood is a big no-no.

Bakelite does not mind getting wet. And these cleaners will rip off any
sensitive coatings, so caution is justified.

devon

> are you sure you didn't clean off the good residue (silver oxide???)
> helps the switches run better.

The contacts now are bright shiney silver now - when using a file, only a
pinpoint of silver was showing

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

I am struggling valiantly with my first Em. 1972 Fun-Fest.

I dearly miss my Wpc test menu.

The more I work on it the more poorly it works.

:>)

I notice that the Top #1 is a 60's Gottlieb Wedgehead. Will the info
transfer well to a 1972 Williams or are they vastly different?

Otto

CARGPB11

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> This is your first EM project right?
> PLEASE please please, get yourself "This Old Pinball" TOP#1 for
> $8 and watch it. You're really scaring me with the Mean Green.
> It's not for cleaning switches!
> http://marvin3m.com/top

devon

"Newpinguy" <sethmundy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As long as you don't wet the bakelite and you remove any residue of the
> mean green with alcohol I don't see how you would end up with any
> trouble..you may be cleaning just to clean though if you don't use
> something a little more aggresive to clean off stuck on crud on the
> contact....

no I didn't get the bakekite wet, just stood it with the tip in a baby jar
partially filled with mean green, left for 5 min, then cleaned with rubbing
alcohol.

I was just trying to troubleshoot my first EM problem, and I wanted to rule
out the contacts. OK file it is from now on. Thanks all for the information.

devon

devon

Gulp ... I do have it and did watch it. I saw the way you filed it, I was
just "thinking" again. It gets me into a lot of trouble sometimes :)
I saw that it took rust off of coindoors, etc. thought I'd give it a shot.

won't happen again.

thanks,

devon

martin wrote:
> I have been using a couple of products lately - Johnson Wax Cleaner and
> Degreaser, from Lowes, and Greased Lightning, from Home Depot. Greased
> Lightning is foams, the degreaser does not.
>
> Both chase off accumulated dirt and grease with ease. There are a few
> things around the house that nothing else would clean. I have used them
> on wiring harnesses, I feel that they are less intrusive than the
> dishwasher - and more effective. For a well-oiled game (this does
> happen), they may be the best solution.
>
> For an EM, I see no problem with using them anywhere on the electrics,
> but with two caveats:
>
> 1) You want to get all of the detergent residue off. Means a big water
> rinse.
> 2) Water on bare wood is a big no-no.
>
> Bakelite does not mind getting wet. And these cleaners will rip off any
> sensitive coatings, so caution is justified.

Sorry if I confused anyone. I didn't mean to imply to hose down the
whole machine but you could take the relay chassis out and do that. I
did do that to my Bally Heavy Hitter (very small machine) and it still
works fine. Obviously I wouldn't use it on a playfield.

this whole thread scares me!

Clay - I thought the only thing that scared you were naked and somewhat
overweight ladies!!!

steve (cargpb10 - sigh)

In article <1125352243.063098.108230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<flipnout1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Many years ago I worked in a Xerox refurb facility. We used to first
>clean the copiers with Zep to remove all the toner. Zep is sort of
>Mean Green like. We then rinsed them with water and blew out as much
>water as we could with high pressure water. Air dry for a day and then
>fire it up. We never removed any switches or wiring. It worked great.
> Machines looked very clean afterwords.
>Not sure if I would do this or not but have always thought that you
>could using a similar process. Just another thought for everyone to
>ponder.

I don't think any of the copiers have wood in them. If pinball machines
were only made of plastic, steel, and glass, then this might even work.
--
Daina Pettit=daina@xmission.com, voice: (801)277-6296, msg: (801)277-0888
UNIX Consulting Salt Lake City, Utah http://www.MrPinball.com