thatchman1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
I've been given the option to upgrade my work PC with one of two standardized packages. Both Dell. I'm having a hard time nailing down what would likely perform best for me.

One is a GX270/P4 2.8Prescott (800fsb) "standard" hard drive (unsure of RPM or ATA, hopefully at least 7200/100, 512 dual channel SDRAM Intel 856G chipset.

or

Precision 470DT 2.8 Xeon 800fsb with 512 DDR2 SDRAM pc400 but a 15,000RPM SCSI hard drive. Unstated chipset.

I do a lot of multitasking with small apps, (often i'll have open outlook, excel or two, several IE, word, some CRM software, IM, a remote control software session or two, security system monitoring software, NAV, etc.)while printing, sometimes DVD burning. Nothing graphic intensive, but I do run dual displays and with a PIII 1GHZ and 512 mb of pc133 ram and a 5400 ata66? HD, I have my processor at about 85-95% utilized at most times and about 114 MB of phsical memory available.

A few questions--

-I see HT only works with XP per Dell site. We are still on 2ksp4 though we use 2003 for server now, so i'm unsure of any adoption plans for XP desktop (not even rumblings).

-In general for the type of work I do, any Xeon advantage other than possibly adding a second processor at some point?

-Per intel's site, they are recommending P4 with HT as an entry level workstation processor though my company is still purchasing the Xeon 2.8

-we now do a 4 year lease, so what i get i'll have a while.

Any thoughts, further questions, suggestions are welcome. I'll continue my searching to see if I can get any data to persuade me using only the system specs I have. I'd like to determine which profile would perform best for me given my usage.

Scott

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
The Precision, if it's a new one, has EM64T and HT, also Dual capable, so could add a second cpu in the 4 years time, even if you can't replace the whole thing. Chipeset on it is most likely 7525/7520, or wahtever those two options are again(don't feel like looking it up), as it's Xeon with 64bit extensions and PCIe

Basically, I'd go with the precision for sure.

TRENDING THREADS