TECH: Stern Nineball questions

Picked up a Nineball last weekend and just got it set up. Never had one of
these before, so I'm not sure if these are right or not.

1) When first turned on, after the self test, the game goes to attract mode
ok. But the sound board is putting out this low volume pulsing hum noise
while the game is just sitting there. After a game has been played, it
returns to attract ok, but the pulsing hum noise is gone.

2) After locking the first ball, sometimes I get a two-ball multiball.
Other times I lock two balls before getting a three-ball multi. From what I
can tell, the two-ball multi is started when one ball is locked, and the
ball in play hits one of the drop targets (not sure which one, probably
"8"). Three ball multi only starts when the third ball is locked. Is this
correct?

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| Windows 95: From the people who brought you Windows 3.0 |

My Galaxy does the same kind of thing with the sound. For some reason
the background sound just clicks until the first ball from the first
game goes into the outhole. After that its fine.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:08:34 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic <usenet_spam_trap@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
> 1) When first turned on, after the self test, the game goes to attract mode
> ok. But the sound board is putting out this low volume pulsing hum noise
> while the game is just sitting there. After a game has been played, it
> returns to attract ok, but the pulsing hum noise is gone.

The VPinmame emulation of Nineball doesn't do this, so I'm assuming that
it's not supposed to. Any of you Stern experts got any good ideas on this
one?

> 2) After locking the first ball, sometimes I get a two-ball multiball.
> Other times I lock two balls before getting a three-ball multi. From what I
> can tell, the two-ball multi is started when one ball is locked, and the
> ball in play hits one of the drop targets (not sure which one, probably
> "8"). Three ball multi only starts when the third ball is locked. Is this
> correct?

Email from Duncan helps here. The rule is that with one or two balls
locked, hitting the "9" ball target releases the locked balls. The "9" is
not an actual target, it is a roving light in front of the eight ball drop
targets on the left. "9" is lit when balls 1...8 are collected, and
dropping the target where the roving lamp is currently lit collects the 9
to start two- or three-ball multiball.

Locking the third ball starts three-ball multiball.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| #define main Main /* Now try to link this! */ |