Couple more dumb questions about windows XP Pro

OK...how do I get rid of the "Wizards" that keep popping up on XP Pro...and if I decide to take it off and restore my original windows 2000, how do I do it without losing programs. Seems like I found it before, but I can't get it now. I just get to "system restore," which is going to remove things I don't want removed. And can someone explain why Windows XP Pro decides to capitalize file names..yuk!
9 answers Last reply
More about couple dumb questions windows
  1. What kind of "Wizards"? If you're referring to the <b>Welcome Screen</b>, you can disable it from group policy, gpedit.msc > local computer policy > administrative templates > system > logon
    I don't believe it's possible to install Windows 2000 over XP (downgrading), you may install 2000 on a different partition...
    (I don't have the "capitalize file names" problem, can't help you...)

Don't listen to a newbie, listen to the <A HREF="http://evilcity.com/" target="_new">evilness</A> inside you...
  2. I'm referring to the "Scanning Wizard." Don't need it to pop up every time I insert a disk in my e-film reader. I want to take Pro off...I think I can do that by going back to the first day and check. The capitalize file names problem may be in the trial version...
  3. Nope...I have windows 2000 on first and than overwrote 2000 with XP Pro trial version...How do I remove the PRO without disturbing the programs???
  4. This so called "scanning wizard" is autoplay, you can turn it off from group policy, local computer policy > administrative templates > system > turn off autoplay.
    or user configuraion > administrative templates > system > turn off autoplay.

I've never installed the trial version... I don't know how you can just <b>uninstall</b> XP and keep the original 2000, sorry... The trial version might have an option to let you reverse the installation of xp (not sure)

Don't listen to a newbie, listen to the <A HREF="http://evilcity.com/" target="_new">evilness</A> inside you...
  5. When you upgrade to XP, you have the option during the upgrade of making a backup restore file so you can "uninstall" XP. If you did that, then you can definitely remove it and get win2k back, although since I've never had to do it, I couldn't tell you how.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
  6. Ahhh!!! No return to 2000 option available. How do I reformat the entire hard drive? Everything's gotta go!
    And thanks everyone!
  7. Boot with Windows 2000 CD and format.

8. as mentioned

this time dont kill 2k with xp ;)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
  9. Would Restore Point work in this situation?

<font color=red><b>We all love disassembling things to see how it works,
    but who wants to put it back together again?
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Windows 2000 System Restore