Sign in with
Your question

Shopping for a new laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 14, 2010 8:16:15 PM

Hello all, shopping for a new laptop. I currently have a Dell that's 4 years and old and on its last legs. I've been poking around on newegg but i'm having trouble finding what im looking for, so I'm hoping someone here might have a good suggestion.

1_What is your budget?

Under $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

My current laptop is a 15.4" weighing in around 8lb. I want something smaller and lighter, but I might stick with the 15" size if it's light enough.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
My current laptop is 1680X1050 and I love it. However it seems the market has abandoned that size and 1600X900 laptops don't appear to fall in my price range. I'm kinda disappointed with that.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

A couple hours would be good. I don't anticipate needing crazy battery life.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I have a gaming desktop, so I don't need killer capabilities. However I would love to be able to play Starcraft 2 at LAN parties with decentish settings without having to bring the desktop, so dedicated graphics card and modern cpu are required.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Mostly of what I do with my laptop is work on school projects with engineering software (Excel, Matlab, LabVIEW) and watch movies when I'm travelling.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Anything more than the 100 gigs on my current laptop is fine. However, I would really like to get a faster hard drive if possible. 5400 RPM has been ok but now that I'm used to the 7200 RPM HDD's on my desktop I'm kinda looking at getting the same speed in my laptop.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I like Newegg. I'll also order from manufacturer's directly.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I would prefer something that's going to last a few years. I've survived 4 years on my Dell, I'm expecting similar sturdiness here.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD Read/Write is fine

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and
explain the reasons.

My current laptop is a Dell, but I hear their quality has been sketchy since getting my laptop 4 years ago. One of my friends got an ASUS laptops a few months ago and says its awesome, so I've been looking at those. However I don't personally have any particular brand loyalty.

13_What country do you live in?

US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

That about sums it up.

More about : shopping laptop

a b D Laptop
July 14, 2010 8:30:30 PM

Phoenix012 said:
Hello all, shopping for a new laptop. I currently have a Dell that's 4 years and old and on its last legs. I've been poking around on newegg but i'm having trouble finding what im looking for, so I'm hoping someone here might have a good suggestion.

1_What is your budget?

Under $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

My current laptop is a 15.4" weighing in around 8lb. I want something smaller and lighter, but I might stick with the 15" size if it's light enough.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
My current laptop is 1680X1050 and I love it. However it seems the market has abandoned that size and 1600X900 laptops don't appear to fall in my price range. I'm kinda disappointed with that.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

A couple hours would be good. I don't anticipate needing crazy battery life.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I have a gaming desktop, so I don't need killer capabilities. However I would love to be able to play Starcraft 2 at LAN parties with decentish settings without having to bring the desktop, so dedicated graphics card and modern cpu are required.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Mostly of what I do with my laptop is work on school projects with engineering software (Excel, Matlab, LabVIEW) and watch movies when I'm travelling.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Anything more than the 100 gigs on my current laptop is fine. However, I would really like to get a faster hard drive if possible. 5400 RPM has been ok but now that I'm used to the 7200 RPM HDD's on my desktop I'm kinda looking at getting the same speed in my laptop.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I like Newegg. I'll also order from manufacturer's directly.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I would prefer something that's going to last a few years. I've survived 4 years on my Dell, I'm expecting similar sturdiness here.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD Read/Write is fine

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and
explain the reasons.

My current laptop is a Dell, but I hear their quality has been sketchy since getting my laptop 4 years ago. One of my friends got an ASUS laptops a few months ago and says its awesome, so I've been looking at those. However I don't personally have any particular brand loyalty.

13_What country do you live in?

US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

That about sums it up.

Hi there,

You should check out the Toshiba Satellite A500-ST56X6. It has a powerful processor (1.6 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM), 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It also has NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M graphics. It has a slightly larger screen than your current laptop (16") but it weighs less so it is more portable.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
!