AMD 64 3500 S939 LIterally smoked...any ideas?

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Hi,

I'm putting together a new system for myself using the Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939, MSI Neo2 K8N Motherboard, Thermaltake 480w dual fan PS, 2x512 Corsair PC3200 DDR400 LL. After physically installing all the new components along w/ the heatsink and fan of course I powered on for the first time. Imeediately a loud piercing beep was emitted and within 3 seconds the processor literally started smoking a lot. I sent the motherboard and CPU back to their respective companies for replacements but does anyone know what else could have been the problem? I considered it could be caused by the powersupply but after discussing the subject w/ someone at Monarch Computer it seemed unlikely.
Has this ever happened to anyone else here? Its the first time I've ever even heard of a processor start smoking in a couple seconds w/ a heatsink and fan on it. Thanks.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You probably didn't put the heat sink on all the way.

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I put on the heatsink as instructed and it was quite secure I cannot imagine how it could not have been on all the way.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, what happened to me is I put it on, and it felt secure, but the 2nd clip was only barely clipped onto the socket. I couldn't see it because of the layout of my case. Anyways, after I turned it on, the 2nd clip just popped off and fried the chip. There was no smoke though, just a nasty smell. My guess is something similar happened to you.

--
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
After I removed the heatsink to inspect the processor i did see that the thermal grease had evenly spread over the processor so I would think that this is an indication the heatsink was properly applied. In your case did you see an uneven distribution of the thermal grease by chance? On another note did AMD replace your processor for you?

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I am saying is that the HSF was in full contact with the chip, but the latch on the HSF was not fully hooked into the hook on the socket. Therefore, it was solid at first examination, but after a few minutes the latch just slipped off the hook, causing the HSF to then lose contact with the chip, frying it.

--

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I'm not familiar w/ the acronym VReg. "Voltage Regulator"? If this was the problem how can I be sure to avoid it in the future? Thanks again.

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
not sure why the board didn't automatically shutoff or if that is even a feature on it. It did emit a very loud beep much like a smoke detector.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's the best use for an MSI motherboard. Use it as a smoke detector! It even makes it's own smoke for self-test!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
>>>Anyways, after I turned it on, the 2nd clip just popped off and fried the chip.

I thought all A64's had built in thermal protection?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Hmm normally an unprotected CPU takes longer to toast than just a couple seconds. Like 12-15 seconds.

Dont even worry about the PSU doinf since the MOBO is still the one feeding the CPU. Two thing happend here:

1. HSF was not properly installed.
2. Defective mobo feed to much juice to the mobo.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Like you said, a chip without an hsf, takes some seconds to fry. The thermal protection on these chips is good. It could not have been a poorly installed hsf. The chip may have been inserted wrong way round.

mflick333

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I wish I was overclocking it and that was the cause. It would sound exceedingly cool to say I tried to run my processor so fast it almost caught on fire. Again I have installed many hsf and am very sure it was installed properly. In fact I tried re-setting the processor and hsf then booting up a couple times after the smoke and the same piercing beeping sound was the result at which time I immediately shut off the PS. I am also fairly certain there is only one way that the chip will actually fit into the socket. I am guessing it was a faulty MB that let too much voltage into the CPU but I was not even aware that this was a possibility. Anyway thanks for all the help from everyone. Once I get the MB and CPU replaced I'll be sure to post if it turns into an oven again. Thanks again.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought all A64's had built in thermal protection?
Hmm, that's right. Mine was an older TBird, and I just saw "Athlon" so jumped to a conclusion. You're right, odds are it was something besides a simple HSF malfunction.

--