gunrun911

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004
Ok Guys, from my previous post i said i have a 1.6a o/c at 2.1 and i was getting like 30 fps on counterstrike source.. I took the advice from u guys and added another 512 megs.. So i had 512 megs pc 2100 ram, and took it out and bought dual 512 megs from mushkin, the black line level 2 ram. I also bought a gef 6800 oc card. So i went from the gef ti 4200 to the gef 6800 and changed the ram from 512 megs pc2100 to 1 gig pc2700 ram. Im running at 2.1 and the timing is 2 2 2 7.

I still get 30-40 fps in counterstrike source. Just a little difference but not much at all. Im really upset, i thought the extra ram and this super graphics card would do the trick, it hasnt.. Im thinking of buying this pc.
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/inf8000.asp?v=d but with an agp slot so i can keep my gef 6800 . im thinking of doing the 3.0 ghz pc.. Will this do the trick?

I really want to save the pc i have now. 2.1 ghz and a gef 6800 oc card i figured i should be getting 70 fps at least.. The fps is at 70 when there are maybe 2 players on the screen but once the shooting starts it goes as low as 20fps. ANy other ideas before i take this big step? I have the 1170 agp drivers from SIS, fast rights are off. I even o/c my pc to 2.4 ghc but i dont want to fry anything so i leave it at 2.1. I even reinstalled win xp. Still the same.. any other ideas? is a 3.0 ghz pc with 1mgh cache good enough? or should i just get the regular 3.0 ghz pc with 512 cache.. I dont want to spend to much money but this company puts it all together for me. Can someone check out the pc i mentioned and tell me what u think? here is the link again. http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/inf8000.asp?v=d

but will the regular 3.0 or 3.4 ghz pc with the 800 fsb 512k cache be enough?? thanks guys.. here is my specs now.

asus p4s533 1.6a cpu o/c at 2.1 ghz
gef 6800
1 gig mushkin level 2 black timed at 2 2 2 7.. also i have a 350 watt powersupply. the gef needs only a 300 watt.

anyone know if there are any jumpers on the mb i need to change? i did go from pc2100 to pc 2700 ram. thanks.

thanks a lot.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You would see improvements by just upgrading your chip to a 533 mHz FSB 3.06 GHz, as your motherboard could handle it. But, if you are upgrading it may not hurt to buy a new motherboard that has higher upgradability, as your current motherboard can't really go any higher than the 3.06 GHz chip.

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

endyen

Splendid
I find it hard to believe that CSs is cpu limited at 2.1ghz Get the latest detonators, and directx.
It is a pity you bought pc2700, since pc3200 is about the same price, would work fine on your mobo, and has some potential for upgrade use.
If you do decide to upgrade, you might want to look at an AMD system. They seem to work better for gaming.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're at the "throwing good money after bad" point if you have a bunch of new PC2700 and are considering an 800 bus CPU/board.

Your board has BIOS settings for 133MHz CPU bus and 166MHz RAM clock. It probably refers to the RAM clock of 166MHz as 333MHz (using the data rate), or has a CPU:DRAM ratio in BIOS (which you would set to 4:5).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Gunrun;

All you need is a new CPU and thats it, just buy a 2.53-3Ghz p4b, depending on which model of p4s533 you have, and you are all set, you cant buy the p4c cuz your mobo wont take it, and most likely neither will your ram, so the 800FSB version of the p4 is out of the question, and btw the p4c doesnt even outperform the p4b anyway, so dont worry about it.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
yeah cuz hes going from a p4a 1.6Ghz 400FSB, to a p4b 2.53Ghz 533FSB, he is overclocking to reach that 2.1Ghz, which he can do with the p4b as well to reach about 2.8Ghz, i would say the core clock increase coupled with the FSB speed increase would boost his performance CONSIDERABLY.

endyen

Splendid
I cant see it. You are talking an 18mhz fsb increase, to a chip that is majorly bandwidth starved. I cant see that translating into a lot of fps. Then again, I cant see his rig being cpu limited in CSs.