Easiest solution to extend range???

Paul

Splendid

I currently have an MN-500 network that works great in my
2 bedroom apartment, but I am soon moving into a much
larger house with three floors.

Assuming that the single base station won't be sufficient
to provide high-throughput access throughout the house
(which I would presume is very likely), can someone tell
me what my options are for extending the range of my
network? What hardware do I need to purchase?

Thanks!
Paul

joker

Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #2
MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500,
or MN-700 #3 (if available)

Make sure all MN-100s & MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.01.02.0590

Now lets look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
router mode
LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
some SSID (if wireless)
some WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 6 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #2
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 1 (if wireless)

MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)
bridge mode
LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
same SSID (if wireless)
same WEP key or WPA key if MN-700 (if wireless)
channel 11 (if wireless)

If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (if using the MN-700) the
same for all base stations, people will be able to move between
locations and get a connection.

If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
networks.

You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
prevent interference.

Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
& 11 do.

Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

Paul wrote:

> I currently have an MN-500 network that works great in my
> 2 bedroom apartment, but I am soon moving into a much
> larger house with three floors.
>
> Assuming that the single base station won't be sufficient
> to provide high-throughput access throughout the house
> (which I would presume is very likely), can someone tell
> me what my options are for extending the range of my
> network? What hardware do I need to purchase?
>
> Thanks!
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

Joker-

Thanks for the reply! This may be a stupid question, but
my new house is apparently "wired" with ethernet ports in
various rooms. Would I follow a similar setup? Could I
just plug another MN-500 box into the wall?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

Same problem here with my MN-700. I get an excellent
signal in half of the house...the other half none at all.
My house is one story and about 80 feet long. I tried a D-
link signal extender, but had compatibility issues and
sent it back. I was actually thinking about sending my
msft stuff back for the money back guarantee and buying
Netgear. Any ideas?

Rick

joker

So long as that port is connected to the other MN-500.

Paul wrote:

> Joker-
>
> Thanks for the reply! This may be a stupid question, but
> my new house is apparently "wired" with ethernet ports in
> various rooms. Would I follow a similar setup? Could I
> just plug another MN-500 box into the wall?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul

joker

The only way to extend the range is either use an ethernet cable as I
mentioned of something like the MN-740 to bridge the wireless into a
wired connection so that the next router can connect to the previous router.