Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 8, 2012 5:17:52 PM

Hey guys,
I am in a position where my computer BSOD's after around 1 hour of gaming every time. I am going to do a complete re-install of windows. I have a windows 7 partitions and a partition containing all of my games. If I wipe the Win7 partition and install windows back onto it will my games be removed form the other partition/be unplayable. Should I back all 250Gb worth of games up, or is this unnecessary?
Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : reinstalling windows

December 8, 2012 5:23:39 PM

Computer Specs?
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2012 5:34:07 PM

Doubt reinstalling Windows will do anything about BSOD after 1 hour of play -- That sounds more like overheating or lack of proper Power supply to keep the system running under a heavy load.

But to answer your question -- the games will not be lost but the registry entries will be along with any save games, configuration setups etc. that are saved in your Documents folder under newer versions of Windows -- So most of the games will need to be reinstalled anyway to get them working again
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2012 6:56:53 PM

I find that BSOD's are RAM or driver related. As JDFan noted it may also be a PSU or Temp problem.
December 8, 2012 7:16:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, the problem is driver related. Another reason I want a fresh windows installation is because I have to much useless junk installed that is slowing down my computer.
Thanks!
!