5th Reinstall in 2 years

aatish11

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello,
I recieved an Alienware Aurora r2 about 2 years ago as a gift. In 2 years I have had the motherboard replaced twice, ram replaced, and graphics cards replaced all by Dell. Since then I have had problems with my Windows 7 installation. The first two times my registry files became corrupted and were deleted. Then the computer refused to boot. And now I am getting a message saying that windowscodecs.dll is missing as dew.exe cannot start. I have ran checkdisk with no success as well as use windows recovery tool. I have no problem with reinstalling windows again, however I have a feeling that one of the components seems to be causing this problem. When I first received the computer, the OS was installed on a WD 500gb hard drive. It ran fine while the OS was installed on that. I upgraded the hard drive to an ssd, OCZ silver series I think, and it ran fine until the registry files were corrupted. I assumed that the OEM windows disk was at fault so I bought myself a copy of Ultamite and tried that. It ran for a good 4-5months and now I'm getting the windowscodecs.dll message when I log in. Also, the background at the log in screen is black as well as the desktop background. Aero is also not working. Any suggestions?
-Aatish
SPECS:
x58 alienware motherboard
i7 920 @3.8ghz
12gb ddr3 1333mhz
1 120gb OCZ silver series ssd for boot
2 WD 500gb hard drives for data and games
2x ati radeon HD5870s crossfired

aatish11

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for the tip. PSU Seems to be fine, any other suggestions?

aatish11

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Hi, ran memtest86 for 5 passes. Memory modules seem to be OK. I think it has to do with my ssd. I might order a new hard drive as well as new RAM modules just to be safe. Any suggestions?