Will CoolnQuiet hurt my CPU Fan?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm using a Thermaltake Silentboost K8 to cool my Athalon FX-53 939. I'm running CoolnQuiet on my rig as well. When I was using a Spire Kestrel III CnQ would vary the voltage and hence the CPU fan rpms between about 2500 and 5400 depending on the application...

I went with the Silentboost because... well it's really "silent". But the Silent boost runs at a constant speed no matter how hot or cool the rig gets. Is CnQ trying to reduce the RPM's to a fan that's non adjustable? When cool the fan show's slight reductions in RPM's but nothing much. Is the protocol trying to slow down something that should run constant and am I hurting the fan in the process.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't know about a fan that can't run at lower speed. From en lectrical point of view, a fan speed will vary with voltage and/or current. The only thing that could happen is if there is a circuitry that check the voltage at the fan, it might shut the fan if the voltage is too low. But I doubt this kind of stuff is mounted on PC fans.

Usually a fan is a very simple electrical rotating motor that spin at verying speed when voltage is applied to it. Lower voltage only slows down the fan. High voltage might hurt the electrical motor, but lower voltage will not hurt your fan.

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it greatly..

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.