When will PCI express hit the market for AMD64?

Leoghan

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
When will PCI express really hit the market? I mean I can barely find it now for the few Intel chips and MBs that support it. When will it hit for AMD?

I was planning to build a new system in Dec, but it seems like AMD 64 MBs with PCI express will be hard to find or not on the market by then.

Anyone have any idea? Everything I have read says soon, but does that mean soon they will be trickling to the market?

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well it seems that there will be at least one solution by the end of october/ early november for pci-e on athlon 64. it could be the nforce 4 chipset, but alot of the info is sketchy and not confirmed yet. best to just keep watching.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That sounds reasonable for the release of the chipsets, but I expect delays (the norm) and then 1-2 months for retail boards to be readily available. I'm looking at mid January to late February.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well then ti will be quite opposite from about all the info we are seeing from online sources. infact the sign of the abit board on thier own site could be signs of whats to come. i wouldnt be suprised if you see at least 1 board out in october or november, after all, its the holiday season, the perfect time to luanch something like this. maybe im just being to postivie about the whole thing :p. only time will tell, but i just have a feeling we will see some suprises this year.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I expect they'd like to, but after releasing the 5800 then the nForce3 150 I don't know if they have the guts to release a product before it's at 100% functionality.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
What socket? I know we will get socket 939 with PCIe, but what about socket 754, or even (god forbid) socket A?

because if all new grpahics cards will be PCIe in 6months....wont that force an upgrade for everyone?
Maybe a single 16x for graphics cards on a 754 and then dual on a 939 board?
Each would have like 3-5 1x for other cards?

If something is comming out oct(optimist) or feb(pessimist) wouldn't something more solid be known about what certin brands are atleast aiming for?

--------------------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> I am on an express train to hell. I hope I'm in the front row, the ride is ALWAYS better in the front. </font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can read about the next nForce chipset at Anandtech. It should be released around the end of october or the beginning of november. The problem as I see it is, it could take a month for motherboards to reach a few places in limited quantities, and up to 2 months to get full availability. Add any delays, you can see my pesimism.

Anyway, should be Socket 939. Not that it matters, Socket 939 chipsets can also support 754. Considering AMD is going to 754 for the low end, you'll probably find a bunch of low end boards with low end versions of the new chipsets. You might even find a company that tries to fill a market niche by providing a high end board using the high end chipset in Socket 754, just don't expect that to be common practice.

But as you asked, there's been pleanty of info on the next nForce.