Janvil glass polishing system review

A couple weeks back, when Pindude Gregg B. posted that he was giving
away some free glass and I clicked on the post, I was assaulted by
select pop up ads on the sidebar. Normally i pay about as much
attention to them as zero, but this time something caught my eye about
scratch removal from glass so I checked it out. The company is Janvil
out of Cartersvile GA , not to be confused with Jan-Al the roadcase
folks out of LA. (I used to be a roadie/soundguy) So I bought a starter
scratch removal kit which I received today, specifically for use with a
5/8-11 buffer vs. the kit they make for use w/an electric drill. It
includes a heavy cutting paste and a lighter compound, plus pads,
backing pads with the 5/8-11 arbor size, and some other spray goodies
and sundry items all delivered for the not-paltry sum of about $100. So
I slapped the heavy-duty on my cheapo Chicago-brand Harbor Freight $40
buffer which ain't like the old man's nice Makita but cost me 1/4 the
digits, and I doubt I'll go through four of them before I'd go through
1 Makita, so WTF. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the cutting
compound got into the heavy scratches, and I'll be damned if the "pro
performance polishing compound" didn't do a number on the rest of the
small stuff. Mind you, this stuff only claims to get scratches 4/1000's
of an inch deep out of glass but I'd say it'll do better if you're
patient and play with the variable speeds a little. It left some
swirling which came out great with the Glass Renew compound which came
with it, although I think they claim it should be used first. Plus the
glass glow spray really brightened up the final results. Not too bad of
stuff-If you've got some scratches right where you have to look all the
time and hate to see them this stuff will likely do the trick. And I
think you can get a cheaper starter setup for about $60. (I got the
extra big tubs-o-compound for the starter size pack plus the bouns
pads-only two days left for the special price!)

IMHO you are just grinding glass and changing the optics. Not what I
would want on a pinball machine.
I do glass scratch removal with a kit that is ANSI approved to be 100%
distortion free.
The problem with playfield glass is that it is tempered and requires
much more heat (and time) to bring the glass back up to the surface. It
was a good place to practice on however.

Lee

Why do people have to preface their posts with IMHO? If your opinion is
so humble then you would keep it to yourself. It's like my brother, the
ex-Navy officer says, when one prefaces their reply to a superior
officer with "With all due respect, sir,..." that means "with no
respect all but I don't want to end up in the brig"... same BS, in my
not so humble opinion.
As for the method of polishing, there aren't a whole lot of methods out
there that AREN'T going to grind the glass. As for changing the optics,
this isn't a freakin' telescope or fine Carl Zeiss bino's-it's a damn
piece of glass over a pin. If there is a little distortion and a lot
less scratch, it's worth it in my book.

Whoa, I gave the stuff a positive review. The review was not whether or
not polishing glass was viable so far as replacement or otherwise.
Obviously Lee has a vested interest in people doing this himself as he
does it for profit and is therefore not an objective observer so far as
whether my review has any validity or relevance. And my follow up
comment was strictly a point being made about the whole "IMHO"
pre-qualifier. Not only am I not getting excited or angry about this
obviously not important issue, but also I don't see the need for a
moderator. I'm not humble about my opinions and quite honestly, anyone
who is humble about their opinions wouldn't feel the need to share
them, a point you need to think about BEFORE you write them down and
post for all the group to see. Posting it invalidates it as humble- Got
it? Also, please explain to me how his comment on my review was
helpful. To me, it sounds like someone afraid of losing business to
DIY'ers.
I am partial to Milwaukee and Porter Cable so far as 120VAC power tools
and Craftsman so far as hand tools. Everyone has their preferences-I
like that if someone destroys the tip of my screwdrivers I can get free
replacements no questions asked. To me Milwaukee and PC tools have the
best "feel", torque, and longevity so far as personal experience-far
better than Hitachi, Chicago, Ryobi, even Makita, which are hard to
beat for powered drivers and sanders/buffers/finish. (of course, they
can't touch Fein, but a good Fein setup costs double the Makita stuff)
So that's my not so freakin humble tool opinion, since you made a point
of being so blunt about your (once again) not so humble opinion.
Contradictions, contradictions...

>Whoa, I gave the stuff a positive review.

I didn't say otherwise....

>Obviously Lee has a vested interest in people doing this himself as he
>does it for profit and is therefore not an objective observer so far as
>whether my review has any validity or relevance.

I disagree. A person who does this for a living (not saying he does)
could give you EXCELLENT advice either way. You are not exactly an
"objective observer" since you have money invested in said product.
Hey, it worked to your satisfaction, congrats. I don't think you should
get all pissy because someone thinks this is a hack way to fix glass.

>And my follow up comment was strictly a point being made about the whole "IMHO"
>pre-qualifier. Not only am I not getting excited or angry about this
>obviously not important issue, but also I don't see the need for a
>moderator.

You didn't get one. It was mearly a suggestion.

>I'm not humble about my opinions and quite honestly, anyone
>who is humble about their opinions wouldn't feel the need to share
>them, a point you need to think about BEFORE you write them down and
>post for all the group to see. Posting it invalidates it as humble- Got
>it?

Please. Who is trying to be the moderator now? We don't need to be
lectured about our opinions or how we post them. You have yours and we
have ours. Don't like IMHO? Too bad. Been around a lot longer than you
have and it's not going away anytime soon.

>Also, please explain to me how his comment on my review was
>helpful. To me, it sounds like someone afraid of losing business to
>DIY'ers.

He gave people more information than they had. Anyone who wants to know
more can ask him through the group or via email. More info is better
than none.

>So that's my not so freakin humble tool opinion, since you made a point
>of being so blunt about your (once again) not so humble opinion.
>Contradictions, contradictions...

See how fun using IMO and IMHO and IMNSHO can be?

Kirb
(IMHO- this is the dumbest things to get flustered about in the history
of RGP)

Allright Mr. Deafdumbandblinda.
My preface was made so as not to rain on your parade.
My point was to state that I didn't think that grinding glass is the
way to go for deep scratches.
A new piece of glass can be purchased for $25-$50, so why bother trying
to remove scratches.
I do not profit from doing scratch removal on pinball glass.
The glass scratch removal kit that I own is used on glass that costs
$500-$5000 to replace. The key words are; ANSI approved to be 100%
distortion free.
Have you even been through the ANSI testing approval process? Didn't
think so.
I guess that what it really boils down to is that my standards are a
lot higher than yours are, and for some reason, this is upsetting to
you.
I can see that you're new to this pinball stuff, so I hope that you
will take the time to look and listen to the opinions of others.

Lee