MN-700 Wireless works, wired ethernet does not

Glenn

Hi Everyone, I've gone through a lot of the posts and not
seen one that address this issue. I hooked up my MN-700
last night and the wireless connection did great!
However, it would not work through the wired ethernet. I
upgraded the firmware, but still nothing. I can control
and update the router through the browser, but I can't
access the internet. I turned off all my firewalls, but
no luck at all. It's frustrating to see 1 computer just
doing fine and the next one not working at all. Both
PC's are running Windows XP Pro with SP/2.

Thanks!

Glenn

joker

What exactly do you mean that the wireless works while the wired doesn't
(I ask because you said that you were able to upgrade the firmware
something that can only be done on a wired connection)?

Are they different computers (the wired & wireless computers)?

What operating system(s) are involved in this "problem"?

Do you have any software firewalls install on the computers that can't
connect?

Do you have any of the following programs installed on any of the
computers "7FaSST, AdBreak, AIMSTER, alexa, Aornum, At Guard, Attune,
AudioGalaxy, Auriate Radiate, b3d projector, Babylon, backweb,
BarginBuddy, BDE, BearShare, Black Ice Defender, bonzi buddy,
ClickTheButton, ClickTillUWin, comet cursor, CommonName, CommonNames
Toolbar, CnsMin, CyDoor, Ctron, Date Manager, Delfin Media Viewer,
download accelerator, Download Demon, DownloadReceiver, DownloadWare,
DSSagent, Enhanced MediaLoads, ezCyberSearch, Ezula, Fast Net,
FavoriteMan, FlashTrack, Flyswat, Friend Greetings, FTAPP, GAIN, gator,
Get Right, Go!Zilla, GoHip, Gratisware, Grokster, Hotbar, Huntbar,
IEPlugin, IGetNet, Ilexia, Imesh, InetSpeak, Internet Boost,
International Ad Delivery By NCase, Kazaa, iWon something, LimeWire,
lop, MarketScore, MediaLoads, MediaLoads Installer, Micro Surfer,
Micrografx (Something), Morpheus, MP3.com, Napster (old version before
Roxio brought it back as I'm not sure about there version), Net2Phone,
Netgo, NetPal, Netsonic, Network Essentials, Netzip, new.net, No More
Ads, NowBox, OfferCompanion, Onflow, OPTOUT, PadLookup By NCase,
PC-cillin, precision time, Quick Click, radiate, real download, Roger
Wilco, savenow, SearchAndBrowse, SearchExplorer, SecondPower Multimedia
Speedbar, SHIELDS UP!, Sidestep, Spinner, Timesink, TinyBar, Top Text,
topmoxie, Trellix web, Trickler, Turbo Explorer, UCMore, VLoading,
Wazam, Web Early, Web Turbo, Web3000, webCelerator, webHancer, WebShots,
webto, windows tools by hotbar, WinSrv Reg, Wurld (something),
WurldMedia, Zero Knowledge Freedom, and ZoneAlarm"?

Glenn wrote:

> Hi Everyone, I've gone through a lot of the posts and not
> seen one that address this issue. I hooked up my MN-700
> last night and the wireless connection did great!
> However, it would not work through the wired ethernet. I
> upgraded the firmware, but still nothing. I can control
> and update the router through the browser, but I can't
> access the internet. I turned off all my firewalls, but
> no luck at all. It's frustrating to see 1 computer just
> doing fine and the next one not working at all. Both
> PC's are running Windows XP Pro with SP/2.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Glenn

Glenn

Hi Joker.

The wireless connection will function as normal. I can
send/recive mail and surf the internet perfectly. The
wired connection can reach the router and router
administration, that's how I upgraded it's firmware.
However, it will cannot reach the internet or allow mail.
They are indeed two different computers, both are running
Windows XP Pro with SP2. The wired computer has McAfee
antivirus and firewall. I thought the firewall might be
affecting the connection, however, I disabled the
firewall and I still could not connect to the internet.

Hi,

Is your wired computers IP address setup correctly?
If you're using DHCP to obtain an IP address does it obtain an IP address?
If you're manually entering in the IP address, then is it in the proper
class and subnet?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone, I've gone through a lot of the posts and not
> seen one that address this issue. I hooked up my MN-700
> last night and the wireless connection did great!
> However, it would not work through the wired ethernet. I
> upgraded the firmware, but still nothing. I can control
> and update the router through the browser, but I can't
> access the internet. I turned off all my firewalls, but
> no luck at all. It's frustrating to see 1 computer just
> doing fine and the next one not working at all. Both
> PC's are running Windows XP Pro with SP/2.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Glenn

Glenn

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. The computers are set up for DHCP
and they do actually receive an IP address from the
router. I'm actually putting this router in place of a
wired only netgear router, so my cabling is already in
place and working fine.

and, I suppose it has to be asked, are you using the proper ethernet cable?
Eg: a straight-through cable into ports that are not marked as "WAN"?
Perhaps a silly question, but ...

"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is your wired computers IP address setup correctly?
> If you're using DHCP to obtain an IP address does it obtain an IP address?
> If you're manually entering in the IP address, then is it in the proper
> class and subnet?
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
> "Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone, I've gone through a lot of the posts and not
> > seen one that address this issue. I hooked up my MN-700
> > last night and the wireless connection did great!
> > However, it would not work through the wired ethernet. I
> > upgraded the firmware, but still nothing. I can control
> > and update the router through the browser, but I can't
> > access the internet. I turned off all my firewalls, but
> > no luck at all. It's frustrating to see 1 computer just
> > doing fine and the next one not working at all. Both
> > PC's are running Windows XP Pro with SP/2.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Glenn

joker

Try uninstalling the software firewall as it is not needed & may be
causing the problem.

Also did you check add/remove programs for the programs I mentioned?

One last thing do the following & post the results.

1) Go to start | run | type in "command" (without the quotes) | click on
OK. (No results from this operation other then the black Windows opening
up.)

2) Type in "ping www.google.com" (without the quotes) & press enter

3) Type in "ping www.homestead.com" (without the quotes) & press enter

4) Type in "ping 216.239.57.99" (without the quotes) & press enter (this
is www.google.com)

5) Type in "ping 209.157.71.50" (without the quotes) & press enter (this
is www.homestead.com)

Glenn wrote:

> Hi Joker.
>
> The wireless connection will function as normal. I can
> send/recive mail and surf the internet perfectly. The
> wired connection can reach the router and router
> administration, that's how I upgraded it's firmware.
> However, it will cannot reach the internet or allow mail.
> They are indeed two different computers, both are running
> Windows XP Pro with SP2. The wired computer has McAfee
> antivirus and firewall. I thought the firewall might be
> affecting the connection, however, I disabled the
> firewall and I still could not connect to the internet.

chrisb

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Hi...

I just posted the below in another thread - had the same
problem. Tried everything everyone suggested here and
more. Check out my solution and let me know if it works:

I had a problem with my MN-700 and a Terayon TJ715X. My
desktop, hooked up through Ethernet, wouldn't access the
Internet, even though my laptops would wirelessly or
through Ethernet. I got a clue wihen I tried to upgrade
the MSBN firmware on the desktop and got the message to
disable my firewall. But I had no firewall activated.
After some experimenting, though, I uninstalled my Norton
Internet Security software (even though I had never
enabled the firewall and it still listed that module as
inactive) and all my problems were solved.

So you might try installing the new MN-700 firmware and
see if you get that message. If you can't download the
firmware, check your Windows setting and make sure your
firewall is disabled. Check any other security software
you might have installed for the same thing. If
everything is disabled, then uninstall any firewall
software, even if you have in disabled.

If that solves your problem like it did mine -
congratulations!

Now, how do we protect ourselves from the big, bad world
of the Web!!?? :-}

ChrisB