Nightmaiden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Alright, I've very new at this sort of thing. I'm wanting to build my own computer for an A+ course I'm taking, and this'll be a first for me.

I'm looking at a couple CPUs for a my computer, but I'm not sure whether to try AMD or Intel. Two processors I'm looking at, and trying to figure out which would be the fastest for the best price are:

~AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (2.2Ghz), 512KB Level 2 Cache (Not sure about the FSB speed)

~Intel Pentium 4 (2.8 GHz), 1MB Level 2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB

It looks like the Pentium 4 is better, but I'm not sure if it's the best overall. If someone could help with this and maybe make suggestions, I'd appreciate it greatly.

~Brandie

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on what you are going to do with it. Read the reviews on this site and look at the benchmarks to see how each perform in the specific tasks you will be using them for.

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slurpees.mov" target="_new">South Park</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Athlon 64 would have better performance in most applications.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
For compiling etc, the A64 system is considerably better. For most operations, the Amd system would be fairly equal to a P4e 3.2.
Once M$ brings out Win64, the gap will widden.