Cannot send e-mail or login to certain sites

Last response: in Networking
September 14, 2004 3:55:35 PM

Good day,

I've just installed a US Robotics wireless router to be
used with my MS Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-720. I am
running Windows XP Pro which has not been upgraded to SP2
yet.

When I'm plugged into the network via a cable everything
works fine however when I disconnect the cable and attach
to my wireless router I can no longer send e-mails within
Outlook, I get a TCP/IP error stating that the SMTP
server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. I
can, however receive messages.

In addition, I cannot login to Hotmail and other similar
sites, when I try I get a "server not found" error. Also
when I tried to post a message here I got that same error.

I've already contacted US Robotics and they have
escalated the call and they suggested that I check with
Microsoft. I thought that I would also post a message
here to see if anyone has encountered these problems
before.

Thank you for any help.

Kevin

More about : send mail login sites

September 15, 2004 6:08:58 AM

While connected via wireless do the following & post the results.

1) Go to start | run | type in "command" (without the quotes) | click on
OK. (No results from this operation other then the black Windows opening
up.)

2) Type in "ping www.google.com" (without the quotes) & press enter

3) Type in "ping www.homestead.com" (without the quotes) & press enter

4) Type in "ping 216.239.57.99" (without the quotes) & press enter (this
is www.google.com)

5) Type in "ping 209.157.71.50" (without the quotes) & press enter (this
is www.homestead.com)

Kevin wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I've just installed a US Robotics wireless router to be
> used with my MS Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-720. I am
> running Windows XP Pro which has not been upgraded to SP2
> yet.
>
> When I'm plugged into the network via a cable everything
> works fine however when I disconnect the cable and attach
> to my wireless router I can no longer send e-mails within
> Outlook, I get a TCP/IP error stating that the SMTP
> server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. I
> can, however receive messages.
>
> In addition, I cannot login to Hotmail and other similar
> sites, when I try I get a "server not found" error. Also
> when I tried to post a message here I got that same error.
>
> I've already contacted US Robotics and they have
> escalated the call and they suggested that I check with
> Microsoft. I thought that I would also post a message
> here to see if anyone has encountered these problems
> before.
>
> Thank you for any help.
>
> Kevin
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:16:41 PM

Thank you for getting back to me,

I performed the pings, here are the results;

"ping www.google.com" returned 64.233.171.104
"ping www.homestead.com" returned 209.157.71.50
"ping 216.239.57.99" returned 216.239.57.99
"ping 209.157.71.50" returned 209.157.71.50

Hope you can help me.

!