mlwood37

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Ive been buiding pcs for many years now and im totaly shocked over the ECS SIS K7S5A - This xmas ive built sevral of these PCs with AMD XP 1700 - 1800 - 2000 and all the 1700+ and 1800+ do not work at a 133 Mhz speed what so ever.

ECS has relesed sevral fixes for there Bios and Not one has worked. The XP 1700 Even comes up under the post Screen as a "Mobile XP 1700+" WTF. the XP 1800 just will not go 133/133 and refuses to boot ...

My advise to any one reading this forum and looking for a Main bord -

Just becuase ECS has "RECOMMEND BY TOMS HARDWARE GUIDE" Stamped all over there boxes. Stay away from them there Rubbish and do not work with XP 1700 and XP 1800 Thats a fact.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't know if they work with those CPU's since I haven't run my board with one, but might I ask what other hardware you're using?

Are you using quality memory and a good PSU? That board needs a good PSU to run.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

mlwood37

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The ram is of High or real good qualty :). I even used the ram out of my Own PC wich is well hammerd and over clocked and never faulted on me ever - if you look on ECS main Support page you will see a Huge list of PPl complaining about this problem wich there were supposed to have fixed with a bios relese but never fixed a thing at all ...

ECS realy have messed up - one thing i did notice though was the die colour on the XP 1800 + were one brown now its a green colour on the new cpu's .... has AMD changed the way it makes these cpu's l8ly !!!!

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I've built four systems using the K7S5A motherboard and have had no problems with them at all. The processors I used were a Duron 1.2GHz, Athlon T-bird 1.33GHz, and two with the Athlon XP 1800+. None of them had any problems, and all are still going strong as of today. All have the latest BIOS revision.

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.

mlwood37

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
there are 3 version of K7S5A - the first one (ver 1.1) being very very stable the new Relese being version 1.3 on the PCB is very very unstable. this is no joke.

I have built many computers containing the K7S5A (ver 1) and there are all stable and run with no problems. all of the ver 1.3 K7S5A have prblems except with the 2 Ghz chips. I am haveing to fork out for my customers and Buy them all 2 Ghz processers as there XP 1.8 Ghz are just not working on there MB.

dhlucke

Polypheme
First off, I'm not so sure you can go off the revision number. I've had my board for over a year now and if I'm not mistaken, I have rev 1.4.

Second, the forum for any K7S5A user is ocworkbench.com. Go to their forum and then to the ECS section. Any problem you have should really be taken care of there since you'll get tons of help.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. I really love the board so I hope you sort things out.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>