Disabling Metro UI

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I truly dislike the Metro UI. So much in fact, that I stopped messing around with the Win8 preview. I've read a lot of sites on disabling Metro UI. They all seem to be either downloading third party programs to accomplish this or fooling about with the registry.

I know you can opt out of the Metro UI, but then the 'traditional' desktop is very limited on win8. Is there currently a way to disable Metro UI easily, or should I just not worry about it and skip win8 when it's released?

+1 the great randini

lets face it windows 8 (ie windows me V2) is all about the metro gui. I would stay away unless you have a touchscreen monitor or can write a interface for kinect. =)

If you want to disable :

1- pull out your windows 7 dvd
2- put it in the computer dvd
3- boot off disk
4- format hard drive
5- Reinstall windows 7
6- note to yourself: wait until windows 9 get out and it's not crap :p

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i dont see why people bad mouth windows 8 so much? heck for being a pre-release build id say it is a well built (albeit annoying change), and resourceful OS. I have had minimal issues with drivers and software. Yes, the metro UI is quite annoying, but I dont even use it, the only time i ever find myself opening the metro UI is on boot (which i just click desktop), or needing to use control panel or Run.. since only takes me 3-5 seconds to bring up anyway.

But, like anything new, people are going to complain about how its different and they dont like it. and yes people are right when they say "This OS was buildt for tablets, they don't listen to consumers, why would they remove the start button". but in the end Win8 is a good OS.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Is there a way to disable Metro on the newest version of win8 consumer preview or whatever it's called?
I know there is a registry trick for the older Betas or whatever but I've heard it does not work now.

If someone could find a way to disable it and to have full functionality of the traditional GUI then we'll have something.

Try installing Classic Shell. You can download it from this link:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Classic-Shell-Download-194993.html

It's definitely something, although I wouldn't call it perfect.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Unfortunately there is no way to easily disable the Metro UI. Microsoft took the trouble to remove the option to do it via the registry, because they're basing their entire business model on moving users away from the desktop to Metro. Maybe has something to do with the fact they get 30% of sales of all Metro apps, maybe they're hoping that by getting you to use your PC as a tablet, you might be inclined to go for a Windows tablet. Maybe they're just idiots, who knows.

Either way, Windows 7 will be officially supported until 2020, and by that time Microsoft will probably figure out how to properly integrate mobile and desktop versions of their OS, or maybe Google Glass will turn the entire computing world upside down.

Classic Shell still works even on the latest versions of Windows 8 and it will work on the official launch version of Windows 8 too. It's not a registry hack; it is a UI mod program that runs over the classic desktop. It doesn't really disable Metro, but it lets you use the computer without Metro being even close to as annoying as it can be.