Inspiron XPS...

Just got one...

Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is almost as
large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...

Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of the one
for the 8600?

Jonathan
8 answers Last reply
More about inspiron

    My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
    output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)

    Clint

    Clint wrote:
    > My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
    > output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > "Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Just got one...
    >>
    >> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is
    >> almost as large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
    >>
    >> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of
    >> the one for the 8600?
    >>

    >> Jonathan

    Holy Nuclear Reactor, Batman! Is the XPS a full-fledged desktop chip?
    I thought the 90 watt brick for my Vaio was huge and it's a P4-M,
    2.6Ghz.

    Of course, I do a LITTLE more research, and see that the Inspiron 5150 brick
    is only .66 pounds (according to the Canadian website) and it's 130W. You
    wouldn't think that extra 20W would cost almost 2 pounds in weight!

    > Clint wrote:
    > > My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
    > > output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Just got one...
    > >>
    > >> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is
    > >> almost as large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
    > >>
    > >> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of
    > >> the one for the 8600?
    > >>

    > >> Jonathan
    >
    > Holy Nuclear Reactor, Batman! Is the XPS a full-fledged desktop chip?
    > I thought the 90 watt brick for my Vaio was huge and it's a P4-M,
    > 2.6Ghz.

    My XPS has a 3.4GHz P-4.... No "M"...

    Jonathan

    I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card, maybe a
    DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide aspect display,
    you're going to eat a lot of power!

    Clint

    "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card, maybe
    > DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide aspect display,
    > you're going to eat a lot of power!

    I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so, not to
    shabby...

    Jonathan

    Jonathan wrote:
    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card,
    >> maybe a DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide
    >> aspect display, you're going to eat a lot of power!
    >>

    > I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so,
    > not to shabby...
    >

    > Jonathan

    What is the amp-hour capacity of the battery? Are you running dual
    batteries? Just curious about this since P4-Mobiles run about 1.5 hours
    on 4amp-hour LIon battery at 15 vdc with a dim screen and speed
    stepping, about 40 watts average compared to full-load at 85 watts. You
    must have the notebook nearly comatose to get 5 hours, or the 150 watt
    power supply is vastly overcapacity for the computer.

    > Jonathan wrote:
    > > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > >> I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card,
    > >> maybe a DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide
    > >> aspect display, you're going to eat a lot of power!
    > >>

    > > I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so,
    > > not to shabby...
    > >

    > > Jonathan
    >
    > What is the amp-hour capacity of the battery? Are you running dual
    > batteries? Just curious about this since P4-Mobiles run about 1.5 hours
    > on 4amp-hour LIon battery at 15 vdc with a dim screen and speed
    > stepping, about 40 watts average compared to full-load at 85 watts. You
    > must have the notebook nearly comatose to get 5 hours, or the 150 watt
    > power supply is vastly overcapacity for the computer.

    Just one battery, 6450mAH and 95WH...

    And I had plugged it into the power strip, and was installing XP, Office,
    drivers, ran Windows updates, Mappoint, and other apps before I realized the
    power strip was turned off... This was about 4.5 hours after I had pulled
    the laptop out of the box and turned it on... BTW, I had not gotten a low
    battery alarm yet... I then turned on the strip... and continued...

    The battery is also HUGE... It measures 1.5" x 6" x 4" and weighs about 2
    pounds...

    Jonathan

Dell XPS Inspiron Computers