  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 23, 2004 11:40:41 PM

Just got one...

Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is almost as
large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...

Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of the one
for the 8600?

Jonathan

More about : inspiron xps

June 24, 2004 1:01:37 AM

My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)

Clint

"Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got one...
>
> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is almost as
> large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
>
> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of the one
> for the 8600?
>

> Jonathan

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:01:38 AM

Clint wrote:
> My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
> output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)
>
> Clint
>
> "Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just got one...
>>
>> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is
>> almost as large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
>>
>> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of
>> the one for the 8600?
>>

>> Jonathan

Holy Nuclear Reactor, Batman! Is the XPS a full-fledged desktop chip?
I thought the 90 watt brick for my Vaio was huge and it's a P4-M,
2.6Ghz.

June 24, 2004 1:03:22 AM

Of course, I do a LITTLE more research, and see that the Inspiron 5150 brick
is only .66 pounds (according to the Canadian website) and it's 130W. You
wouldn't think that extra 20W would cost almost 2 pounds in weight!

Clint

"Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just got one...
>
> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is almost as
> large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
>
> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of the one
> for the 8600?
>

> Jonathan

June 24, 2004 6:17:04 AM

> Clint wrote:
> > My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
> > output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)
> >
> > Clint
> >
> > "Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Just got one...
> >>
> >> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is
> >> almost as large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
> >>
> >> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of
> >> the one for the 8600?
> >>

> >> Jonathan
>
> Holy Nuclear Reactor, Batman! Is the XPS a full-fledged desktop chip?
> I thought the 90 watt brick for my Vaio was huge and it's a P4-M,
> 2.6Ghz.

My XPS has a 3.4GHz P-4.... No "M"...

Jonathan
June 24, 2004 7:05:26 AM

I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card, maybe a
DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide aspect display,
you're going to eat a lot of power!

Clint

> Clint wrote:
> > My guess is probably not. The XPS (and 9100) power supplies are 150W
> > output. The 8600 is 65W. Guess which one is bigger. :)
> >
> > Clint
> >
> > "Jonathan" <jrcdehc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Just got one...
> >>
> >> Got a question, the AC Adapter that came with it is huge (it is
> >> almost as large as the PS in my desktop and weighs more)...
> >>
> >> Is there a replacement for this thing? Something along the size of
> >> the one for the 8600?
> >>

> >> Jonathan
>
> Holy Nuclear Reactor, Batman! Is the XPS a full-fledged desktop chip?
> I thought the 90 watt brick for my Vaio was huge and it's a P4-M,
> 2.6Ghz.

June 24, 2004 8:40:26 AM

"Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card, maybe
> DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide aspect display,
> you're going to eat a lot of power!

I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so, not to
shabby...

Jonathan
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:22:54 PM

Jonathan wrote:
> "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card,
>> maybe a DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide
>> aspect display, you're going to eat a lot of power!
>>

> I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so,
> not to shabby...
>

> Jonathan

What is the amp-hour capacity of the battery? Are you running dual
batteries? Just curious about this since P4-Mobiles run about 1.5 hours
on 4amp-hour LIon battery at 15 vdc with a dim screen and speed
stepping, about 40 watts average compared to full-load at 85 watts. You
must have the notebook nearly comatose to get 5 hours, or the 150 watt
power supply is vastly overcapacity for the computer.

June 24, 2004 7:53:39 PM

> Jonathan wrote:
> > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >> I think between the P4 chip and the ATI 9700 (mobile) graphics card,
> >> maybe a DVD burner, a GB of RAM, 7200 rpm drive, and a 15.4" wide
> >> aspect display, you're going to eat a lot of power!
> >>

> > I am getting about 5+ hours of battery life out of the thing... so,
> > not to shabby...
> >

> > Jonathan
>
> What is the amp-hour capacity of the battery? Are you running dual
> batteries? Just curious about this since P4-Mobiles run about 1.5 hours
> on 4amp-hour LIon battery at 15 vdc with a dim screen and speed
> stepping, about 40 watts average compared to full-load at 85 watts. You
> must have the notebook nearly comatose to get 5 hours, or the 150 watt
> power supply is vastly overcapacity for the computer.

Just one battery, 6450mAH and 95WH...

And I had plugged it into the power strip, and was installing XP, Office,
drivers, ran Windows updates, Mappoint, and other apps before I realized the
power strip was turned off... This was about 4.5 hours after I had pulled
the laptop out of the box and turned it on... BTW, I had not gotten a low
battery alarm yet... I then turned on the strip... and continued...

The battery is also HUGE... It measures 1.5" x 6" x 4" and weighs about 2
pounds...

Jonathan
!