ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Hi,

In 3dmark03 or Rome:Total War I get crashed to the desktop. Did some temp testings, like turning A/C down more, and it didnt happen. Tells me its the cpu temp or something? But the cpu temp isnt high at all, and I put a great cooler on.

Ok, could it be a PSU problem?

I have no clue what these specs mean, but maybe you all know...

From SISsandra:

CPU Voltage=1.62 (When I checked a minute ago it was 1.65)
Aux Voltage=1.65
+3.3V=3.2
+5v=5.03
+12v=11.55
-12V=-11.95
-5v=-4.90
Standby Voltage = 4.87v

So... Are these numbers ok?

Just crashing to the desktop ususally isn't a sign of a hardware problem. I'd say 95% of the time, this is a software issue, as mentioned above, a re-install of Windows should fix it. You could try re-installing drivers and directX and such, but I think you are headed towards a re-install.

Your voltages are fine, they will always fluctuate a little.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

endyen

Splendid
I am thinking memory cct. Try upping the voltage to 2.7. If that doesn't help, let us know what ram, and mobo combo you are using.
Running memtest86 would also be wise. Just remember that a failure does not mean your ram is bad, but that something in the memory cct is off.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya ohno;

I dont think its the PSU because when my PSU was starting to go bad it would flat out restart the computer, i would be all playing my game then all the sudden - restart, so i would look somewhere else for the problem.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
In most cases as people tend to overlook the benchmarks are designed to be hard on the hardware specs of a computer and crunch some hard numbers in clock speeds for the CPU, memory and graphics card.

What people fail to pay attention to is that in most crashes during the test it is not a software problem with the benchmark program it is because a piece of hardware in your computer cannot perform the required task that the benchmark asked it to do.

If you read the test results after the benchmark if you finish it you will see what tests the benchmark was not able to test because your hardware did not support it. Many Monitors will not support things like clip out to region or GLdither for example. The graphics card could but the monitor does not.

Turning down clock frequency's can get you through a tuff benchy and reduce heat generated but that only shows the owner of the P.C that he has hardware that is not up to the task.

If you owned a Intel P4 on a supporting motherboard with good memory and graphics card with a reasonably good monitor you would not have any problems running benchmarks.
Your scores would depend on how you tweak the system in all regards to drivers and MHz and clock speed settings.

Just as a case in point the monitor I use to build game computers on is worth more then my car.......well almost I need a dependable monitor to make sure when assembling a system that the thing can support all the hardware capability's not provided in most generic monitors.

I use for my own personnel gaming a SyncMaster 19" 955df monitor for 2 reasons.
(1) It is only 19" and that is all you need to be looking at for long periods of time and keeps you in the action without straining your neck and eyes roaming around a big ass 25" monitor. There is no need for anything larger as most games only provide a 120 Deg player view in graphics anyways, so the larger the screen is you are not going to see anything more then what is there and sprites in OpenGL games have rather large hit boxes on them that make it hard to shoot around so if your on a big monitor the game is magnified to such an extent that you will constantly be hitting the sprites be it objects on the ground when moving or trying to shoot around them at an attacker. Sprites for lack of a better word are solid graphic objects.
(2) Hours of online gaming will deteriorate your monitor and a SyncMaster 19" 955df is only about $400 bucks Canadian to replace or cheaper now. I just looked about $221.16 U.S

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
What a bunch of flamebait. You've really outdone yourself, SOD. I hope God does love Canada, because without hockey [ever again] you'll need somebody to cry to! Funny that my 955 DF IS worth more than your Pinto!

Maybe RAM, doubtfully PSU as it would usually cause a total reboot not CTD. Most likely it is software, even though it seems that you've checked that out. Certainly not a monitor issue. That's just not possible. If turning down your CPU or Video Card frequencies solves the problem then you obviously have your culprit. I'm leaning toward directx or driver issues.

I'm also interested in hearing how online gaming degrades monitors. Does it do so more or less than playing offline? They should have warnings or something if it could fry a several thousand dollar (allegedly) piece of equipment. BTW, if you really spent large sums of money on a "dependable" monitor, you're completely psychotic. There-I bit. Sorry to everybody else who so patiently hoped that this thread would expire. I couldn't let it die.

Mobile P4 1.6 @ 2.4 - Gigabyte 8ipe-1000 Pro - 4x256 Corsair Value PC3200 - Jaton MX440 @ 370/590 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Might want to re-install your CPU cooler, if you truly feel it's a temp issue. If your cooler is great, it must not be working correctly. Touching the heatsink while in operation is a highly unscientific but sometimes effective way to rule out overheating. If HS is cool, then it's either not installed right or heat is not the problem. If it is hot to the touch, then it's not cooling well enough. Warm (90-100 F) is fine/good. Hot, like you can hardly hold your finger on it is a problem. What exactly tells you it was a temp. issue? Do you have any idea what the temp was exactly? More specifics are needed for a sound answer.

Mobile P4 1.6 @ 2.4 - Gigabyte 8ipe-1000 Pro - 4x256 Corsair Value PC3200 - Jaton MX440 @ 370/590 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Lol son anyone can check the current price of a monitor online dumb nuts!!

In regard to online play the games have other server side and client side configurations that include particle FX settings Gldither and other settings that push a monitor hard. In most cases those are server side graphics settings that you can not change, if you could you would get 100fps all the time and you cant because you have no control over the game engine or the server side aspect of the graphics settings.

Next time think before you open your mouth and insert foot.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
ok as for the original post crashing to desktop you guys are overlooking the most easiest lil fix. did you recently install new drivers. i know that for nvida drivers a while back they came out with a new driver and it wouldnt play with bf1942 and some nvidia graphix cards. i would use an older set of drivers or maybe the newest if you dont already have.

also all this crap about the server having all these setting etc
"if you could you would get 100fps all the time and you cant because you have no control over the game engine or the server side aspect of the graphics settings"
this has nothing do to if you pull 100 fps or not. it depends on monitor quality i.e. crt has a good enough refresh rate or you overide it. and if you have good enough componets.........lmao u said if you had an intel p4 with decent components you would be able to finish the benchmark yea because thousands of amd users cant benchmark rofl

and im also very curios since online games degrade your monitor whats the condition of playing offline. rofl

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
My AMD system beats most P4's for benchmarks and I not going to go through all this crap again like last year I also have an AMD64 rig that slays anything Intel has so far.

For games it's AMD and so far it always will be. I know so many guys on P4 Systems that used to play CS that went back to AMD systems because they had a 50% drop in personnel skill level.

Intel sucks your game skills out of the top of your head like a 200 pound Mosquito on Prozac.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Look, Jerkoff; You were the one who said that you paid nearly the price of your car for a "dependable monitor", not me. I simply pointed out that my dependable monitor (purely dumb luck that we have the same monitor) cost about $225 more than your imaginary car. If you actually could drive, you'd certainly find something more rewarding than misleading people who use this forum to seek help. In the meantime, have you heard any more about that horrible virus that makes hard drive heads crash into platters? Or how about the time that your water cooling unit needed to be disassembled and you had to go back to lowly air cooling because you had inadvertently compromised your coolant and you had plant life growing in your tubes due to UV light? Do you have any other ridiculous stories that you could site to further discredit yourself? Those are the only two that come to mind immediately and without searching for further idiocy. Once again, sorry for providing the troll with a nugget-he's just soooo cute when he's feeding <swoon>

I'm also leaning toward driver issue. Didn't I mention that in a previous post? Thought I did. Even if it's not driver-related, it's something that's easy to try and might fix it.

Mobile P4 1.6 @ 2.4 - Gigabyte 8ipe-1000 Pro - 4x256 Corsair Value PC3200 - MSI 128 MB 9800Pro @ 435/730 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -

endyen

Splendid
Hate to say this to a nice Jedi like you but, The original poster did say the problem went away, when he lowered the room temerature. That pretty much guarantees it's not a driver problem.

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
o i must have overlooked that temp thing.... o well... worth a shot. this justaguy is funny though i like hearing him rip into this other guy rofl

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
My mistake, fella. Thanks for the forgiving tone. I didn't read carefully enough. Yeah, I guess it must be temp issues. How's your case cooling overall? If lowering room temp can fix the problem, then the air inside the case is probably too warm.

Mobile P4 1.6 @ 2.4 - Gigabyte 8ipe-1000 Pro - 4x256 Corsair Value PC3200 - MSI 128 MB 9800Pro @ 435/730 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -

In regard to online play the games have other server side and client side configurations that include particle FX settings Gldither and other settings that push a monitor hard.

SoD, I'm sorry... but you're going to have to start providing some sort of evidence to back up your BS claims. This one is almost as far out there as the whole hard drive heads being made to move up and down crap. Whether someone feeds you this stuff and you believe it or you make it up on your own, I have no idea.

You brag about being an engineer. Dude, I know of an engineer that actually believed he was paying so much for his electric bill because he was and the end of the line and had to pay for all the unused electricity. (Someone told him this and he actually believed it) It's funny that someone supposedly so intelligent could fall for something so idiotic.

In most cases those are server side graphics settings that you can not change, if you could you would get 100fps all the time and you cant because you have no control over the game engine or the server side aspect of the graphics settings.

*Sigh*

You know, I actually feel sorry for you. If you weren't purposely trying to trick noobs into believing you, I'd be sympathizing your total lack of knowledge. Do you read this stuff before you post it? Show me one article that isn't written by a lame jackass that backs up this total BS and I'll leave you alone. Until then, I'll keep blowing your FUD out of the water.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
<A HREF="http://img15.exs.cx/img15/5211/steamass.gif" target="_new">http://img15.exs.cx/img15/5211/steamass.gif</A>

ohnoesaz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
Well, this post got off topic...

But my crash to desktop problem is fixed!!!

Tip for you all: If you overclock your cpu... make sure you raise the voltage as well!!

tehe.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
//-----------------------------------------------
// Server Config For Day Of Defeat v1.2 Server
//
// Special Thx to [AR]-All Ready Online Network
// for help with this server config

hostname "DoD v1.2"
//sv_password "yourpasshere"
//sv_spectator_password "yourpasshere"
//rcon_password "rconhere"

// Server Variables
mp_autocrosshair 0
//mp_flashlight 1
//mp_teamplay 11
mp_friendlyfire 0
mp_fraglimit 0
mp_timelimit 30

sv_allowdownload 1
sv_allowupload 1
sv_cheats 0
sv_maxspectators 4
sv_maxrate 6000
sv_minrate 0

decalfrequency 30
fakelag 0
fakeloss 0
pausable 0

// Physics settings
cl_cmdrate "30"
cl_dlmax "128"
cl_dynamiclights "1"
cl_particlefx "0"
cl_updaterate "20"
con_color "255 155 50"
fps_max "75.0"
fps_modem "0.0"
gl_dither "1"
gl_flipmatrix "0"
gl_fog "1"
gl_monolights "0"
gl_overbright "0"
gl_polyoffset "4"
r_detailtextures "1"
sv_accelerate 10
sv_aim 0
sv_airaccelerate 10
sv_airmove 1
sv_friction 4
sv_gravity 800
sv_bounce 1
sv_clienttrace 3.5
sv_clipmode 0
sv_stepsize 18
sv_stopspeed 100
sv_maxspeed 500
sv_wateraccelerate 10
sv_waterfriction 1
edgefriction 2
mp_falldamage 1
mp_footsteps 1

// DoD Extra settings
//This Enables DoD's Netcoding
sv_unlag 1

//DoD Beta 2.0 Bullet Tracer settings
traceroffset 100
tracerlength 0.45
tracerred 1.3
tracerblue 0.1
tracergreen 0.7
traceralpha 0.45
tracerspeed 6250

//Turn on\off Spectating Team
mp_allowspectators 1

//Turn on/off death messages
mp_deathmsg 1

// load ban files
exec listip.cfg
exec banned.cfg

mp_alliesclasses -1
mp_axisclasses -1
mp_spawnbazookas 1

Excellent.

You can post a server config.

Congratulations.

Now please explain exactly how that affects the client machine. Also explain how this puts more 'stress' on the monitor. The graphics settings for the server don't have a lot of affect on the client, as they can customize their graphics settings.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
They do when your a hacking little biotch such as your self that uses OpenGL hacks among other things. Good luck with that.

Well, that was an excellent, well-informed response. I'm glad I read it... everything is so clear to me now. SoD, I don't know how I ever doubted you... you're absolutely correct.

(And if you believe that, then you're even less intelligent than I gave you credit for).

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
rofl didnt i already point out that that crap was crap and it deals with your monitor and your graphix card.... whats up with this guy and cs now. rofl

back to the main topic : by the way what did you put your voltage up to?

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My computer was crashing to the desktop in not only Far Cry but a couple of other games as well. I eased one of my RAM timings from 2 up to 2.5, and the problem went away instantly. Someone else I talked to said they did the same thing. The problem is that I have a Crucial stick added to my two XMS sticks, so either the problem was that having more than two mem. modules demanded slightly higher timings, or the Crucial stick just can't go that low. If you're forcing lower timings on your memory then try easing them back to default just to see if it fixes the problem.

Athlon 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, 768Mb Corsair XMS 5-2-2-2.5, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128Mb, Seagate SATA 80Gb, Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN