flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Standard sorry this is here but every other place is dead disclaimer
Now then, yesterday I was called over to look at this problem with a rather old dell (P3 600, 128mb pc100 sd which I upped to 256, etc.) It had been working on a regular network card before but the owner wanted to switch to wireless. He stuck in a d-link wireless card cause he used a d-link router, model number of the card is swl-520 rev E. It doesn't wanna work in windows tho. The thing was running windows me and he installed the driver cd and all but internet explorer wouldn't detect internet, or rather it looks for the page but doesn't connect. Now the actual wireless card does establish a link with the router, even gets an ip address. I yanked out the original nic and just left the wireless and uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled. No go, same problem. I then installed the extra ram and switched it to XP (cause I refuse to touch me, it spontaneously dies). Did the same procedure still no go. Now windows senses that there is a network connection that is working, the icon in the taskbar is for connected and it displays stats and all. IE however, now crashes when u open it- the whole comp freezes. Mozilla on the other hand doesn't, it just can't connect to the webpage. Did all the standard ipconfig /release and /renew, not go. Did netsh int ip reset and when that didn't work uninstalled tcp ip and reinstalled, still nothing. So now I'm pissed and I plug the original nic back in, install drivers and it works fine, but connected thru the nic. Evem IE doesn't crash. Anyone know of some bitch probem with the SWL-520 revE or something, I mean this looks like driver problem.
O also, when u hit repair network connection for the wireless, it says couldn't renew ip.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>

its called zone alarm, its a bastard. Look at the setting s there, if not ZoneAlarm, some other FireWall Program.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
There is no firewall, I mean if there was why would it allow internet access with the non-wireless nic?

Is there a firewall installed on the system? You arnt too clear

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
There is no software firewall on the system. The only firewall is the NAT technology in the router, which is certainly not the problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, you just loaded XP and turned it from a decent system into a turd. Anyway, you might have fixed it simply by running the internet connection wizard and telling the thing to use LAN for IE.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
When I do that it does nothing, will u notice that it works with the wired nic but nor the wireless?

You need to run the network wizzard and choose connection manually within the wizard.

For some reason beyond me I cant make networks run in XP without running the wizards. Setting IP, DNS, and Workgroups does not work, by itself. You HAVE to run the network wizard.

I aint signing nothing!!!

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Crazy idea, but did you try switching pci slots. I installed a Linksys wireless card in my sisters computer and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (similiar problem as yours.) I switched it to another PCI slot and it worked. I'm guessing it was some sort of device conflict.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!