blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Lately my hard drive has been acting weird. When I cold booted the hard drive would not start to spin, but when I disconnected its power and plugged it back in it would start spinning and I was able to restart it fine. But the other day I cold booted and it didn't start to spin so I reconnected it. But this time it didn't start spinning. I tried different connectors, different PSU, and on a different computer. Still not working, is it dead?

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
blackpheonix;

yeah man it sounds like it went to the great hardware pile in the sky. if its under warantee call them up and get it replaced, if not then its time to look for a new one.

spin it by hand :lol:

hats off to you if you get it to 7200RPM!

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Cold boot is when you start the computer after it's been sitting a while I think. Or it might just be when you shut down the computer, and then you press the button to start it. And a warm boot is when you are like in DOS or something and press Ctrl+Alt+Del and the computer restarts. I'm not exactly sure though. It's gonna take forever to redownload all my stuff :(

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Cold boot -> completely renews RAM data and flushes everything. It's like turning off for a few seconds, and then turning on with the main power button.

Warm boot -> Pressing Reset or asking the OS to restart.

When I cold booted the hard drive would not start to spin, but when I disconnected its power and plugged it back in it would start spinning and I was able to restart it fine.

Dude, when your hard drive does this, it's time to immediately back up your data and look for a new hard drive. A drive that doesn't spin up all the time is definately a drive on it's way to failure.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>