firsr build?? what do you think??

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Okay guys I wrote a forum a while back about my first computer build. Well My build is coming up in about a month and I 've got what i'm almost 100% sure whats going in it. A few things have changed about what i want. Now this Build is for my Brothers, and mom, and sis. The computer will mostly be for entertainment. They like to play some games and internet stuff. I'm building mostly so that when the new generation of games come out They can play some of them on the computer instead having to buy, at least not right away, the new systems(ps3, xbox 2,etc...). Right now The parts I'm buying are:

1) athlon 64 3000 cpu( maybe 2800 $145.00)--$165.00 new egg

2}Asus "k8v se Delux" k8t800 socket 754--$95.00

3}Sapphire ati radeon 9600 xt video card--$130.00 ebay( maybe 9800 128mb, 256 bit pro card $159.00)

4}Corsair value select 512mb ddr-3200 memory--$89.00

Total--$479.00

Now I've already have a midtower case form the computer I have right now. I did som modifying and added An extra fan hole on the side to blow on the video cards, and one fan on the front and back. I've already have a 40 gig hard drive so i don't need another right now, cd rom, floopy drive, and cd burnner. My famliy doesn't download much so thats fine. And My power supply is a enermax noisetaker 4200w made for athlon 64. Now my question is would it be better to go with the athlon 64 2800, and take the extra $20.00 to buy the radeon 9800 pro 128 mb 256 bit card. We don't play any high graphic intence games, mostly spider man 2, need for speed, sports games, family friendly games. I wish there was more games for computers that are family friendly but oh well. I went with the athlon 64 because it has better future upgrade capabilities then the athlon XPs. I'm thinking it would be better just to go with the 64 3000 and radeon 9600 xt and just upgrade the card in the future. I think the 9600 xt will work just fine for the games they play now and some in the future. Then in the future when the cards get cheaper i can Go with 9800 256 mb pro card or 9800 xt 256 mb card. We don't care if the games are at the highest resolution. You've got to understand the computer we have right now is a pentium 2 350 mghz. So this upgrade excites us. Finally a Good computer!!!! Amen. Well sorry this is so long but any thoughts will be greatly helpfull. Oh and buy the way I'm defintely going with the 64 chip not the Xp so please no Xp advice. think you guy and gals out there for your help.

Well your selections look good.

I won't take the CPU down to the 2800+, stay with the 3000+.

The 9600xt is a great card, and is more than capable of playing the games you are running currently, but for just $20 you can get the 9800 Pro? The 9800 Pro is going to be a better card, and it makes more sense to spend $20 more now, and you won't have to upgrade as soon. Who knows what the next generation of Need For Speed will require (hopefully carwise it doesn't include a bunch of imports, maybe some old big block muscle, that would be really cool)

Heck even if you have to go mow a lawn or something to earn $20, its a big enough performance upgrade to justify $20 extra dollars.

And I know you don't want any XP advice, but also keep in mind that AMD isn't sticking with socket 754 for much longer, so your upgradeability may still be limited. The XP chips would save you some money.

Sorry couldn't resist with the XP advice. :frown:

Anyways, stay with the 3000+ chip, and if at all possible do whatever it takes to come up with the extra $20 for the 9800 Pro.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

endyen

Splendid
I'll be a little contrary. If the difference between a R9600xt and the R9800pro means using an A64 2800+, go that way. Personally I would spend more on the mobo, and get the Asus K8N-E Deluxe. That's only because nvidia chipsets are great.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
What do you mean there not staying with the socket 754 for long? Isn't the 64 chip what Amd is sticking with for a while? Should i switch to the operton 64 chip?

What do you mean there not staying with the socket 754 for long?
The 64-bit chip is what AMD is sticking to, however there are different sockets for the 64-bit chips. Currently AMD has said they are sticking with Socket 939, not socket 754. They will release a few more chips for socket 754, I believe they have already said the fastest CPU for 754 will be 3700+.

With all the new hardware and chipsets coming out soon (PCI express, nForce4), you will most likely want to upgrade your motherboard with your CPU, by the time you "need" to upgrade.

Anyways endyen is right, if you must go with the 9800 Pro instead of the 3000+ if you have to, this will give you the best performance, however, I would try and come up with the extra $20 if you can, so you could do both.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya newdude;

Yeah i wouldnt comprimise over a couple bucks, stay with the R9800 Pro, if you go with the 9600XT you will be pretty dissapointed with its performance it just cant match the raw power of the R9800 Pro. I would stay with the A64 3000+ as well. Its just not worth downgrading over a couple bucks.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Another take on the Socket 754/939 thing...

How often do you expect to be upgrading this computer? Will it sit still for a couple years or more, then need to be replaced, or will you be replacing this or that part every 6 mos?

The reason I ask (and here's your answers IMHO) is that AMD is changing the 64's to a new socket, 939. That socket will be where the faster CPUs are going to be released on. So if you intend to buy the 3000 now, and in 6 mos or so get a 3800 or 4000 or something, you will need to get a socket 939 mobo. Socket 754 will be around for a while yet because that's the socket AMD will likely be using for their Sempron line.

Another consideration is PCI-express (PCIe). Most new video cards will be coming out in PCIe first, AGP later, and eventually (probably after a couple years, but my crystal ball is cloudy as usual) they won't make an AGP version at all.

What this means is, if you want to upgrade the CPU to something faster than a 3700 within a year or so, you will need the socket 939. If you are going to want to be able upgrade to the latest video card in a couple years, you may have to replace your mobo to support PCIe, and if you're not already on socket 939, you will need to buy a new CPU too. However if the PC is going to sit unchanged for a couple years, then stick with the cheaper 754 because it's cheaper, works just as well today, and within 2 or 3 years, you'ld have to replace everything anyways to upgrade it.

Mike.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Well besides maybe upgrading the memory( more memory) and a better video card, in the future, or faster cpu since the other faster Athlon 64 chips will be cheaper thats about it. The computer is mostly for light gaming and interainment. With this computer they should be able to play most games that come out within two or three years. It doesn't really matter if the games look the best .As long as they work and don't look to bad and we can play the games a little above near minumum system conditions, it's cool. Right now I'm playing test driver 6 With a radeon rage pro 64 mb 2X card and a pentium II 350 mghz. It's just barely plays. So anythings an inprovment by far with what were going with now. But since i can aford it I'm going with the 64 chip.

Oh and bye the way I wan't to make sure everyone knows that the radeon 9800 pro I'm thinking getting instead of the saphire Radeon 9600 xt ($135.00) is the 9800 pro 128 mb, 128 bit($159.00) or Radeon 9800 powercolor 128mb, 256 bit($159.00) . Would this Radeon pro 9800 or regular 9800 128 mb, 256 bit card give enough of a performance difference to spend the extra $22.00. Oh and do you need a APG pro slot to use a pro Card?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newdude on 09/28/04 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
You do not need an agp pro slot to use the 9800pro card. The agp pro slot is for professional (work station type) graphics cards.
The 128 bit card is bad, the powercolor card is bad. Hunt around a bit, you will find better options.

pauldh

Illustrious
The Powercrapper 256-bit R9800 will be faster than the Sapphire 128-bit R9800Pro. But I'd personally look for a third choice. (256-bit & better brand)

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

I want to second endyen's advice,

9800 128-bit = BAD
PowerColour = BAD

If those are the choses you may want to stick to the 9600xt, as Saphire is a decent brand. Do some more searching to see if you can find any other 9800's in your price range.

pauldh

Illustrious
If still in stock, the BBA 9800 Pro retail box for $180 would be so much better. Fastest of the three(256-bit pro) and 3 year ATI warranty.

But I guess that's over-budget. It's so easy to keep stepping up :) The 6800 is only $250, the 6800GT is only $350, etc. Yup, maybe a $130 9600XT aint that bad afterall.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt