Sign in with
Your question

Is there a better laptop than this for my needs?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 19, 2010 6:41:55 AM

Doing another one of these now that I have researched a bit more and have decided on what exactly kind of laptop I want.

1_What is your budget?
700-1k USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13 or 14in screen around 5 pounds...needs to be portable

3_What screen resolution
do you want?
Whatever the norm for 13 or 14 in screens are.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, I have a really nice gaming desktop that I just spend 1500 on.

5_How much battery life do you need?
This is one of my key things, I need good battery life...anything less than 4-5 hours is a no go.
Would prefer more towards 6-9 hours of life

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
This is not going to be for major gaming in high detail stuff...just for the occasional games when Im out.
Most likely EVE Online and I would like to be able to play the new bioware MMO that comes out next year...Star Wars:The Old Republic...would like to play them on around Medium setting.
Other games Id like to play are some RPGs like Neverwinder Nights1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2...maybe dragon age if it would play(its a bit newer). Maybe even Mass Effect 1...I doubt what Im looking for would play mass effect 2 though.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Mainly as a laptop to carry around campus, I'm a computer science major.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
250GB or more

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
About 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVDRW..doubt ill need bluray

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like ASUS...also a Big AMD/ATI fan, but im not against using intel and nvidia as it seems most laptops use them.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Keys...
Good Battery Life
Portability
Moderate Gaming

I'm currently thinking about this one...
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U30JC-A1-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Si...

There seems to be a B1 version with a tad faster CPU..not sure though..I didn't see much on them.

More about : laptop

a c 244 D Laptop
July 19, 2010 7:19:14 AM

That ASUS model would be a good choice,however don't expect great gaming performance from it,it can handle new games on low settings and older games on medium.
Great battery life and good gaming don't play well with each other, so you have to sacrifice one of them.
July 19, 2010 7:30:57 AM

If you can hold your breath a bit everyone is expecting the Acer TimelineX TG series to become available in the US soon. It should feature a great deal of customization options that fit in your price range, and with an ATi Radeon HD 5650 it will handle the games you want to play for the next few years.

If you can't wait the new HP Envy 14 may be a posibility for you as well, however you will have to decide if you will dish out the extra $$ for it since it starts around $1100 USD.
!