Any reason why I shouldn't sell/ship to a non-usa ebay win..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 31, 2005 1:11:00 AM

Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
winning item out of the country ?

thanks,
devon
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

There are some drawbacks, sure

It's difficult and/or expensive to insure and track an international
shipment

You have to deal with customs, who can sit on packages and then you and
your customer are in the dark with why things haven't arrived

BUT, you're excluding a large part of your audience if you don't ship
internationally. Some headaches seem to be worthwhile when you get
additional bids.

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

devon wrote:
> Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
> there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
> winning item out of the country ?
>
> thanks,
> devon

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

I've had good luck shipping to over seas bidders. I think that since
the Euro is doing so well..they'll spend more to buy your stuff. Just
make sure that you give an estimate for what the shipping rate will be
and you should be fine.

I limit it to Japan, Canada (of course), and Europe. Honestly most of
the best transactions come from folks in Germany, Netherlands, and the
UK.

-c
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

I've sent some international shipments lately with no problems.
However, I'm always nervous if I don't have a tracking number to prove
that it was delivered. For higher ticket items in the hundreds of
dollars range and up, I require an international service that is
trackable such as Global Express etc.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

Here's why I don't do international sales:

1) takes forever to get the payment (except for paypal)
2) anything but an international postal money order is real hard to
cash
3) I always under-estimate the shipping (yeah, I know its my fault, but
still a reason)
4) no tracking/confirmation w/ regular postal orders so no way to
confirm delivery. UPS and FedX, while they do offer good tracking, are
real expensive for international, even Canada.
5) takes forever for the buyer to get it, and there's no help when they
don't, or when you get the 'where's my stuff' e-mail 3 weeks later.
6) some items are 'hazardous' and must go surface only - that rules out
all but Canada/Mexico.
7) some buyers got down-right nasty, accusing me of fraud, etc. I told
them to check w/ their local customs folks. one week later - guess
what.

hmmm, you know, I've sold stuff all over the world but never to Mexico.
do they have pinball in mexico???

Now I used to sell to international buyers, and I've had way more
successful transactions then bad ones. But it only took a few bad ones
to make me quit it for all but a couple of 'friends' of mine.

---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

a couple that go bad to
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

easier for shipping rates.
if it goes overseas, you have to find out if they want it surface or
airmail, take the package to the post office and get quotes, then redeliver
to post office after it's been paid for. just adds extra steps that you
aren't getting paid for.

if someone asks nicely I usually tell them I will ship overseas. unless
they are from France. LOL

Dan

"devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
> there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
> winning item out of the country ?
>
> thanks,
> devon

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

Once it leaves our shores, your insurance usually stops. So if it's lost
you'll be refunding the money and be out the merchandise and costs. LTG :)

"devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
> there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
> winning item out of the country ?
>
> thanks,
> devon

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:11:01 AM

At least 50% of my sales are overseas, and one customer that I met from
Ebay has easily spent $100,000 in the last six months with me. I think
overseas sales are great for business and love them!

Lloyd Olson wrote:
> Once it leaves our shores, your insurance usually stops. So if it's lost
> you'll be refunding the money and be out the merchandise and costs. LTG :)
>
> "devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
> > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
> > winning item out of the country ?
> >
> > thanks,
> > devon

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 9:50:56 AM

> Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
> there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
> winning item out of the country ?

If you want to make less money on your auctions, go ahead and exclude
the rest of the WORLD! I sell LOTS of stuff that goes overseas and
most of it would sell for a LOT less money if I limited it to the US
customers only. Lots of Australian sales with the Gottlieb parts
recently.

The USPS web site is excellent for quoting accurate shipping rates. I
also add a few dollars for the customs forms hassle. 99.9% of the
overseas sales never even ask for insurance and I have never had
anything go missing yet. 99.9% of the overseas customers always pay
with PayPal, so there is no wait for international money orders.

So, in conclusion... shipping out of the country is no big deal and the
customers are happy to get the parts.

How else do you think I turn those PENNIES into DOLLARS?!
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:56:17 AM

Yes, they have pinball in Mexico. I played an AFM at a bar in Puebla a
few years back. It wasn't in that bad of shape either.
August 31, 2005 1:44:10 PM

To be honest it's more like we cant find stuff over here, so happy to
pick up something for a reasonable price from the US (the only killer
can be shipping)!

An example. Was looking about for a reasonable quality TZ for ages.
Couldnt find one here in the UK until i stumbled accross a guy had
brought two back from the czech reublic...

OF course the decent £ to $ conversion rate is a bonus, but we get taxed
to hell over import duty etc, and so that wipes out most of the benefit
of the exchange rate :(

Paul

!