Any reason why I shouldn't sell/ship to a non-usa ebay win..

Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
winning item out of the country ?

thanks,
devon
10 answers Last reply
More about reason shouldn sell ship ebay

    There are some drawbacks, sure

    It's difficult and/or expensive to insure and track an international
    shipment

    You have to deal with customs, who can sit on packages and then you and
    your customer are in the dark with why things haven't arrived

    BUT, you're excluding a large part of your audience if you don't ship
    internationally. Some headaches seem to be worthwhile when you get
    additional bids.

    -

    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    devon wrote:
    > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
    > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
    > winning item out of the country ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > devon

    I've had good luck shipping to over seas bidders. I think that since
    the Euro is doing so well..they'll spend more to buy your stuff. Just
    make sure that you give an estimate for what the shipping rate will be
    and you should be fine.

    I limit it to Japan, Canada (of course), and Europe. Honestly most of
    the best transactions come from folks in Germany, Netherlands, and the
    UK.

    -c

    I've sent some international shipments lately with no problems.
    However, I'm always nervous if I don't have a tracking number to prove
    that it was delivered. For higher ticket items in the hundreds of
    dollars range and up, I require an international service that is
    trackable such as Global Express etc.

    Here's why I don't do international sales:

    1) takes forever to get the payment (except for paypal)
    2) anything but an international postal money order is real hard to
    cash
    3) I always under-estimate the shipping (yeah, I know its my fault, but
    still a reason)
    4) no tracking/confirmation w/ regular postal orders so no way to
    confirm delivery. UPS and FedX, while they do offer good tracking, are
    real expensive for international, even Canada.
    5) takes forever for the buyer to get it, and there's no help when they
    don't, or when you get the 'where's my stuff' e-mail 3 weeks later.
    6) some items are 'hazardous' and must go surface only - that rules out
    all but Canada/Mexico.
    7) some buyers got down-right nasty, accusing me of fraud, etc. I told
    them to check w/ their local customs folks. one week later - guess
    what.

    hmmm, you know, I've sold stuff all over the world but never to Mexico.
    do they have pinball in mexico???

    Now I used to sell to international buyers, and I've had way more
    successful transactions then bad ones. But it only took a few bad ones
    to make me quit it for all but a couple of 'friends' of mine.

    ---
    Steve Kulpa (cargpb10 - sigh)
    Hermitage, TN
    http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/rgpidx.htm

    a couple that go bad to

    easier for shipping rates.
    if it goes overseas, you have to find out if they want it surface or
    airmail, take the package to the post office and get quotes, then redeliver
    to post office after it's been paid for. just adds extra steps that you
    aren't getting paid for.

    if someone asks nicely I usually tell them I will ship overseas. unless
    they are from France. LOL

    Dan

    "devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
    > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
    > winning item out of the country ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > devon

    Once it leaves our shores, your insurance usually stops. So if it's lost
    you'll be refunding the money and be out the merchandise and costs. LTG :)

    "devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
    > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
    > winning item out of the country ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > devon

    At least 50% of my sales are overseas, and one customer that I met from
    Ebay has easily spent $100,000 in the last six months with me. I think
    overseas sales are great for business and love them!

    Lloyd Olson wrote:
    > Once it leaves our shores, your insurance usually stops. So if it's lost
    > you'll be refunding the money and be out the merchandise and costs. LTG :)
    >
    > "devon" <1papadudeNOSPAM@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
    > > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
    > > winning item out of the country ?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > devon

    > Just asking because I see some auctions state shipping in USA only. Are
    > there any drawbacks for the seller in regards to selling or shipping a
    > winning item out of the country ?

    If you want to make less money on your auctions, go ahead and exclude
    the rest of the WORLD! I sell LOTS of stuff that goes overseas and
    most of it would sell for a LOT less money if I limited it to the US
    customers only. Lots of Australian sales with the Gottlieb parts
    recently.

    The USPS web site is excellent for quoting accurate shipping rates. I
    also add a few dollars for the customs forms hassle. 99.9% of the
    overseas sales never even ask for insurance and I have never had
    anything go missing yet. 99.9% of the overseas customers always pay
    with PayPal, so there is no wait for international money orders.

    So, in conclusion... shipping out of the country is no big deal and the
    customers are happy to get the parts.

    How else do you think I turn those PENNIES into DOLLARS?!

    Yes, they have pinball in Mexico. I played an AFM at a bar in Puebla a
    few years back. It wasn't in that bad of shape either.

    To be honest it's more like we cant find stuff over here, so happy to
    pick up something for a reasonable price from the US (the only killer
    can be shipping)!

    An example. Was looking about for a reasonable quality TZ for ages.
    Couldnt find one here in the UK until i stumbled accross a guy had
    brought two back from the czech reublic...

    OF course the decent £ to $ conversion rate is a bonus, but we get taxed
    to hell over import duty etc, and so that wipes out most of the benefit
    of the exchange rate :(

    Paul

    CraigC -Chicago- wrote:
    > I've had good luck shipping to over seas bidders. I think that since
    > the Euro is doing so well..they'll spend more to buy your stuff. Just
    > make sure that you give an estimate for what the shipping rate will be
    > and you should be fine.
    >
    > I limit it to Japan, Canada (of course), and Europe. Honestly most of
    > the best transactions come from folks in Germany, Netherlands, and the
    > UK.
    >
    > -c

Games Ebay Video Games