Want to do a reinstall need some help

revroo

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
hey i know this sounds like a stupid question from the thread title, but i cant find a answer for the specific problem i am having. i recently built my own gaming pc; all went smoothly if you wanted to know. but know my sister wants my old laptop for herself. i agreed to give it to her but then i ran into a problem

All my files and folders are on the computer and i want to wipe it but i have no windows 7 disk other than the OEM disk which i purchased with my gaming PC. all i want to know is would it be ok if i use this on my LAPTOP to do a reinstall. just to clarify im not trying to use the code of the OEM disk just the files, my laptop has its own OEM code with it.

thank you for any help which you give :bounce: if you need any more information ask below ill be sure to respond.

Solution
This site says there is a method to recover the operating system by pressing Alt F10 while booting. It should show that Windows is loading files. Follow the instructions after that.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101223153029AAyx7ZF

It also said:
If the option to reinstall using the ALT + F10 keys is not available or fails, reinstallation of the operating system can be done using Acer Recovery Media (CDs or DVDs) so if you can't get Alt-F10 to work, use your DVD.

zdbc13

Distinguished
If your laptop as a recovery partition you'd be better off using it rather than the OEM disk. It will have all the drivers pre-installed so you won't have to go find them and download them with all the trouble that involves. What's the model?

revroo

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

its a acer aspire 5551 all the drives i need as far as i know are located here (http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=2192)
i could not see any thing that was missing. lan and wlan drivers where on the list. video drivers are down as vga drivers, and touch pad drivers where there to if i need anything else please let me know. and no i could not see any recovery portion, nor could i manually find one

zdbc13

Distinguished
This site says there is a method to recover the operating system by pressing Alt F10 while booting. It should show that Windows is loading files. Follow the instructions after that.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101223153029AAyx7ZF

It also said:
If the option to reinstall using the ALT + F10 keys is not available or fails, reinstallation of the operating system can be done using Acer Recovery Media (CDs or DVDs) so if you can't get Alt-F10 to work, use your DVD.

Solution
Reinstalling the OS using the Alt-F10 method may not delete all User generated files.
The recovery DVDs, sounds like you do not have. Often they are no longer supplied and are user created.
Yes as rgd1101 stated you can use ANY Win 7 Installation key, even an upgrade version (speacial instruction spteps needed for upgrade version). Just select Custom Install, do NOT enter key untill after installation is complete, then use the Laptop Lic key to activate.