3.2 Scotty or 3.0 Woody? almost same price...

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
They're about the same price. So which one would give me better performance? Better overclock? I'm looking to get around 3.6 (or better, being a bonus of course). I'm not using liquid cooling but I do have a well-cooled case as well as a nice HS/F unit. My current 2.6 is at 3.25 and idles around 27c. case temp is 29c. So, on this air cooling setup, which proc will give me better performance/further oc?

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by krazynutz on 09/29/04 05:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
No question, the 3.2 scott will outperform in all aspects the 3.0 woody.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Northwood will be the best choice at stock voltages. The D1 or the MO stepping will go to 3.5ghz with stock voltages. I can't see an advantage with a Scotty except at stock speeds. HOWEVER: The DO stepping Scotty might have an advantage at "other than stock". Your choice!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 3.2E. I'll take your old CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
scotty'wit the d steppings

System Spec's:
3.2e @3.8ghz
klipsch ultra's

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Computer</A>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
how do I know if I'm getting one with D stepping? Is your system air cooled or liquid?

<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by krazynutz on 09/29/04 08:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
is that sarcasm about the scotty, Crash? Also, I already have a friend who's buying the 2.6c off me for $140. I originally found the 3.0 woody for $208 w/shipping and the scotty for $218 w/shipping. I now just found the 3.0 Woody for $187 w/shipping. Is the scotty worth the $31 increase?

<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by krazynutz on 09/29/04 11:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
$31? Wow, that's a lot of cash to me, I don't have a job.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
yeah yeah...here's the deal. I'm selling my 2.6c which can operate at 3.25Ghz for $140. To upgrade to the 3Ghz Northwood, it's only $47 and the Prescott would be $78. I'm asking if I'll get $78 worth of upgrade/overclockablility on my air-cooled system. I mean, on my air-cooled system, if both cpu's will only make it to 3.6, then my money's better spent on the northwood, yes? Or would I get better performance out of the Prescott at 3.6?

<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If both go 3.6, the NW will perform better.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
It's like a split all the way down the board. Jammydodger even said to go with the woody UNLESS I plan to oc over 3.5. But you say at 3.6, the NW would do better? All sarcasm aside, I just want to buy this thing today. I've read to go with a NW over a PS unless it's a 3.4 chip or better. But if I OC it, does that count as "or better"?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Clock for clock the NW performs better all the way up to around 4GHz according to the reviews I've read. Also, the lower multiplier will result in increased memory bandwidth.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
sold. thanks Crash.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
D1 Stepping - 12 capacitors on the chip (underside with the pins)
MO Stepping - 30 capacitors ".............."
The MO will allow more stable overclocks at higher voltages. Ask the vendor for the exact part number.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot