Your question

Sempron vs Celeron D

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Celeron
  • Sempron
Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2004 5:20:47 PM

It <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron.ht..." target="_new">seems</A> celeron is even slightly better than sempron in most cases!

Plus, celerons, for some reason, are now quite competitive pricewise... So the conclusion is:
Quote:
It is clear that the Semprons with ratings of 3000+ and lower, i.e. intended for Socket A systems, are slower than the Celerons working at the frequency that equals that rating, by about 5-6%.

We shouldn’t forget about the Sempron 3100+ model, though. It must be viewed apart from the rest of the family, since this Paris-core processor for Socket 754 systems with the K8 architecture is incomparably better than its junior mates.

Unless you want 3000+ ratings, the celeron D is your best bet... amazing that celeron isn't the crap it used to be anymore, eh?... Heck, they even have the NX bit... Now celerons may not be too important for us power users, but they (and other cheap options, like Durons) often make their way to many, many computer terminals and internet access points I use, for instance... So at least celeron isn't crap anymore.

More about : sempron celeron

October 2, 2004 12:35:16 AM

The celeron D is the best celeron in a while. As to the benchmarks, there is only one supprise. The celeronD should only have won in Winrarr, if the file chosen was set up for SSE2.
Looks to me like the benches were chosen for the conclusion.
It doesn't really matter too much to me, I will still recommend xps over celerons, but, if the customer demands Intel inside, they will be getting the D (lower priced systems only of course)
October 2, 2004 2:52:13 AM

well see tahts the point, all the socket A semprons are simply under powered and priced as such, while the sole s754 sempron competes in line with the celeron. i have a feeling socket A semprons will fal in price rather quickly since more s754 semprons are coming and amd will want those to be the ones to take on the celeron D chips. you can tell by the sole one out now that it can take the competition.

it just seems to me that tha socket A semprons were for placeholding only until ramp up of 90nm s939, which then takes the pressure off s754 to be the mainstream choice with cheaper s939 parts, and that means sempron cna expand and move s754 into the value segment permanently.

im glad ot see intel get competitive with the celeron fianlly, it will force amd to push out those s754 semprons, becuase the socket A models are relaly only useful for bottom of the market value once thier pricing adapts.
!